I Fill Condoms, Not Promises

30.] I Fill Condoms, Not Promises

The first thing that I saw when I woke up later on that afternoon was a tanned bare arm extended towards the headboard, hanging between the iron bars and across the white pillow case. Looking over the arm revealed black hair tumbling across the crinkled pillow case, the beautiful cerulean blue eyes hidden behind creamy eyelids and black lashes that extended down and cast shadows across the skin beneath his eyes. I could only see one half of his face for the other was tucked against the pillow, chin resting against his shoulder, lips pursed slightly in sleep and occasionally releasing a string of air. His other arm was tucked up behind his head, fingers falling onto one another until they disappeared behind strands of his hair. Lying flat on his back, his stomach was pulled in towards his ribcage, revealing the surprisingly fragile bones that encased some of his most important organs. I watched with a girlish grin as his belly button rose and fell with the rest of his stomach, leaving my eyes to fall away from his exposed upperbody to the waistband of his Calvin Kleins and then to the black sweatpants he was wearing. Part of the sheets were draped across his feet and then tangled as they fell towards the floor.

Prone to sleeping on my back, I was surprised when I found that I was lying on my tummy, one arm pressed beneath the cotton of his t-shirt while the other was dangling off of the bed, fingers extended towards the floor. My hair had spilled from my hairtie, brown curls tumbling across the pillowcase and over my shoulder. My bare legs had most of the covers, twisting the material around my feet, leaving the little that was draped across Eli.

“Eli,” I whispered, recoiling as my breath washed across my hand and noticed the sickening taste that clung to my gums and teeth. Biting my lip, I slowly shimmied myself into a sitting position, legs now even more entangled in the sheets.

Eli didn’t react when I whispered his name, didn’t even seem to flutter from sleep. I couldn’t remember much of the events of the night before, but I could remember Eli coming to save me. I wasn’t sure who or what he was saving me from, but part of me was guessing that it was myself. 

And it was because of this that I decided I would let him continue to sleep. I was in desperate need of a shower and mouthwash. I didn’t want to disturb him, not with how unbelievably sexy he looked when he was sleeping. Not to mention he always let me continue to sleep in the morning when he spent the night.

As I untwisted myself from the covers and stumbled over the carpet, hand pressed to my forehead and stomach gurgling uncomfortably, I didn’t bother trying to recall the events of last night. I figured that it would all come back in due time, whether in flashbacks of my most embarrassing moments or not, I’d come to remember what the night before had held.

Looking down, I found myself wearing a black t-shirt with the words “Evansburg High Baseball” written in an athletic print on the front. I furrowed my brow and let the shirt fall from my fingers. Though the shower was calling my name, the more curious side of me found myself looking around the room, pictures with the same boy in the bed smiling at me from within frozen moments of time.

This room also definitely was in the possession of the same species. As I made my way to the desk, I found that it was covered in a mound of cds that far surpassed my own collection. It overflowed from his desk and onto the chair, uneven piles threatening to collapse at any moment. I spotted everything from the first ever Mayday Parade cd to Deff Leppard to Aerosmith to Train and to everything in between. I nosed about in Eli’s cd collection, smiling the more and more I came across some of my own favorite albums.

I moved from his cds to where his iHome was set up on the dresser. Deodorant sat out on top, along with a box of tissues and a black packaged condom or two. His iPod was sitting in the dock, the screen black.