I Shall Seduce You With My Awkwardness

5.] I Shall Seduce You With My Awkwardness

The Cupcake Shoppe entitled everything that the name suggested. It was a dainty little shop that sat on Main Street, snuggled between my favorite boutique and my favorite hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant. A giant pink-iced cupcake hung out over the sidewalk, the yellow sprinkles spelling daintily spelling out the name. Through the glass window decorated with painted cupcakes of various colors were green circular tables, paired with white iron chairs.

The shop was only slightly busy when I pushed through the doors, the little bell above my head ringing to signal my entrance. The smell of vanilla was the first thing I inhaled when I stepped over the welcome mat, a content smile falling on my face as I squeezed past a couple to make my way towards the display case. Standing in front of five rows of black trays filled with assorted flavors of cupcakes, I tapped my chin in contemplation.

“Adrienne?” I immediately straightened up and spun on my heel. Raising an eyebrow at the boy standing before me, I couldn’t help but let a girlish squeal tumble over my lips as I flung my arms around his neck. Pushing myself onto my tiptoes, I buried my face in his neck, taking a moment to inhale his familiar woodsy scent. I pulled away after a moment, but left my hands dangling over his shoulders, a content smile on my face.

He raised his eyebrows at me, his toothpaste commercial smile falling into place. With his hands resting on my hips and his blue eyes looking into mine, he grinned at me. “What are you doing here?”

“I could ask you the same thing!” I laughed, reaching up to lightly tousle his hair. “I thought you weren’t getting back until later tonight.”

“Well, I figured that if I told you I wasn’t getting back until later, I’d have some time to pick some things up for tonight.” I watched as his cheeks flushed slightly. It killed me to know that though we had been together for a little over three years, I could still make Blaine Wyre blush like a schoolboy.

“What kind of things?” I asked.

“If I tell you, it would ruin the surprise.” Blaine shook his head before kissing me once on the forehead and then stepping away. Turning to the counter, he glanced back at me. “What are you doing here anyways?”

“Oh, just picking up some cupcakes…for your mom.” I mumbled the last part and quickly turned my attention to the display of cupcakes.

“My mom?” Blaine’s head was suddenly right beside mine.

“Yeah…” I looked at him out of the corner of my eye. Blaine Wyre was the kind of boy that you looked at and immediately fell in love with all over again. He had one of those beautiful smiles, the kind that melts your heart and makes you feel warm inside. His eyebrows were thicker than most, but the eyes set beneath them were enough to make you forget about the fact that if he didn’t take care of them, he was probably destined for a unibrow. They were a dazzling blue, two never-ending kaleidoscopes of greens and blues that shifted with the lighting.

As he opened his mouth, I shook my head, placing one finger against his lips. “I’ll tell you later. Are they going to be home tonight?”

“That’s for me to know and you to find out.” Blaine winked as he stood up. Rolling my eyes, I continued to inspect the cupcakes, wondering which flavor would be good for a woman who only truly liked to eat celery sticks. I stared at the carrot-flavored cupcakes, wondering if those would be an appropriate choice.

When I stood back up, deciding that the carrot ones were probably the only option, I found Blaine with a pink box in his hands. “Are those for me?”

“Keep your hands off.” Blaine grinned. “I’ll pick you up at eight, okay?”

“Okay,” I nodded as Blaine took off, politely excusing his way through the throng of people who had just entered the shop. Turning back to the display once more, I tapped my finger against my lips, wondering if maybe I should just get her a stalk of celery instead. However, that lacked sugars and wasn’t exactly the best form of an apology.