thirteen • actors

It only takes me a couple of minutes to regret my question, but before I could say anything, my mom is smiling at me and agreeing. Could I really bring Hannah into this? I spare a glance at Finn, just to see him glaring at me with icy eyes, but I can see that spark of uncertainty- he heard my question. He knows if I have Hannah around- who he'll think doesn't know a thing about what he did- he can't pester me. He can't threaten me without looking suspicious.

Maybe it would be a good idea to have Hannah around- an extra pair of eyes, a second opinion on what to make out of this situation and a friend. I know I wanted to get away from her, but right now I could use one of her hugs- she gives really good ones. And honestly? I'm terrified of being along right now. I don't know what Finn could do. If he's willing to hurt someone to keep their mouth shut, then I need Hannah- I need her to help me figure out what to do.

I just hope this doesn't go completely wrong.

That night, I call up Hannah and in a hushed tone (after making sure I saw Finn go inside his cottage) explain everything he told me, asking her if she was okay and felt safe coming. She's quick to agree, saying she's not going to let me deal with this on my own, and I suddenly feel extremely guilty for thinking lowly of her just because she got drunk one too many times. Any person who's willing to drop everything they're doing and come stay at a place even if it might be scary is a model friend in my books.

Hannah would be up tomorrow afternoon.

I step outside into the evening air, letting the water lap at my feet, running my fingers through my hair. I have to calm down- I'm freaking myself out. Guilt is pooling in my stomach and questions are running marathons through my head. Am I dragging Hannah into this out of selfishness? I almost want to call her back and tell her not to come. I don't want her to get hurt, I don't know how willing Finn is to-

And then out of the corner of my eye I see Finn approaching me, arms crossed over his chest and eyes watching me with a warning gaze, and I decide that he's a bastard that isn't going to get the satisfaction of seeing me scared. He's not going to control what I do because he's pathetic and doesn't deserve that.

Finn continues to walk up to me, and my heart rate begins to increase before I stop it- I'm not going to let him scare me. That'll give him more chances to walk over me. Rolling my shoulders back, I turn to face him, raising an eyebrow with a bored expression. "Can I help you?"

Finn stops arms length away from me. "Remember what we talked about?"

"You killing Levi?"

"No. You keeping your mouth shut. Don't say a thing to your friend."

I've never been a good liar, but considering that if he figures out I told Hannah he could kill me here and now, I do my best to keep my voice flat and expression bored. "As long as you stay the hell away from us, then I'll keep the fact that you're a murderer a secret."

"Fine." Finn pauses, before adding, "I didn't kill him. He killed himself."

You messed with his medication! I want to shout, but I know I can't lose my cool; I might let something slip that I can't afford to. "Keep telling yourself that, Finn."

Finn's eyes narrow and he growls out, "Watch yourself, Kinsley."

"Whatever. Just stay away from us."

"As long as you keep your mouth shut."

"Uh huh." I step away from him, walking back to my cottage and yelling behind my shoulder, "Great talk, Finn. Good night."

Finn stays motionless and follows me with his eyes as I continue to walk away from him, opening the front door and stepping out of the outside air. Only once the door is closed behind me and I'm out of the view of windows do I slump back against the wall, releasing the heavy breath I hadn't even known I was holding as I had walked away from Finn.