-both or none-

Jack's POV

Emmersyn sat at the foot of my bed braiding her hair while I sat by the window with a cigarette in my hand, letting the smoke blow outside.

"That's so gross," She commented, tying an elastic around the end of her hair. I shrugged, taking another puff. She rolled her eyes, slipping off my bed and walking over to me sitting down criss-cross in front of me.

"What?" I questioned, smothering the cigarette and letting it fall down to the sidewalk a few stories below us.

Emmersyn just bit her lip, looking out the window. I shrugged, standing up and walking over to my bureau to grab a t-shirt which I quickly threw over my head so I could walk out of my room without getting screamed at.

"You don't have to do that, everyone went out today. You know, since we got in trouble that winch has to rub it in by taking the other kids out." She rolled her eyes.

"In that case," I smirked, pulling my shirt off and chucking it across the room not caring that it landed on my roommates dirty shoes. "I'm going to get food."

I exited the room leaving my sister in there to do whatever she felt like doing, which usually was just sit on my bed and watch TV. I grabbed the gallon of milk from the fridge, cursing we the refrigerator handle came off in my hand. I stuck it back in, so it was barely hanging by a nail, and carefully closed the door.

I then twisted open the milk jug and took a sip from it, glad no one was here to yell at me to use a cup...because who even does that?

I heard a knock, confused, I turned towards my room. "What are you knocking on?"

"Nothing, why?" Em called back, another knock following.

"Never mind!" I yelled, walking over to the front door, using my empty hand to open it. I assumed it was the landlord or Ms. Willings, considering the buzzer never rang.

I was wrong, very wrong. Four boys, they looked anywhere from the ages of 18-20 or around that, stood before me.

"Wrong house," I said, going to shut the door but one spoke up and stopped me. I slowly opened the door back up again, eyeing these people head to toe. "Who are you?"

The one who was previously looking at my milk gallon looked up at me and responded, "I'm Ashton, I'm looking for an adult?"

"No adults home at the moment," I shrugged, going to close the door once more, being stopped again.

"When will an adult be home? You see, we-I have to adopt a kid as soon as possible, like, today. Any boys around twelve or thirteen?" The kid, Ashton, rambled.

"You are out of luck my friend, there's all ten and nine year olds here. A few are seven, there's actually not many, but I heard there's a really nice orphanage up town. I wish you luck on your voyage, goodbye amigo." I smiled, ready to close the door again until one of the blondes spoke up.

"Ash, wait. What about him? He's older than ten."

"You don't want me," I shook my head, "I'm a real pain in the arse, you know and I'm over your age limit."

Ashton shook his head, "How old are you?"

"Fourteen, sir." I nodded, waiting for them to say goodbye or leave or something.

"I like him," The second blonde shrugged, "We should just stay and wait until whoever runs this place gets back, then we can take him."

Ashton studied me for a second, then nodded. "Okay, sounds good. I think I like you kid."

My eyes widened, "No, no really. You can't have me." I shook my head, the boys just walked in like they owned the place.

"We're going to wait here."

My eyes darted to my bedroom door just at Emmersyn came out. Her eyes widening when she saw the four boys standing in the kitchen. They all turned to look at her.

"W-who'd you let in the house, J?" She asked me, her eyes still staring at the guys.

"Hi, I'm going to adopt him...did she say your name was J?" Ashton asked, looking between my sister and I.

Emmersyn's eyes widened, then filled with fear, then came the tears. She turned and jetted towards the bathroom.

"Idiot," I muttered to Ashton, but not quite to him before running towards my sister. I grabbed her arm, right before she stepped into the bathroom and pulled her toward me.

"You can't leave," She whispered, shaking her head, "Jack, you can't leave me. Please don't leave me."

"I won't, I never will." I said, hugging her tightly. "I promise, it's alright sis."

"Are you guys, like, dating or something?" A dark haired boy nosily asked from across the room.

I shot him a glare, "No," I spit out, still not letting go of my sister who wasn't crying, but just holding onto me tightly. "She's my sister. Twin sister and I'm not leaving here without her."

The boys looked a bit taken aback, looking at each other through the corner of their eyes.

"So we'll take both of you."

****

I just went to my first day of high school likeeee whetttt?! I was in pre-school like yesterday :,) (not really but you get it)

Anyway, I'm supposed to get a lot of homework this year so updates will be hard but they'll be as frequent as possible! Xoxo

~Ashley