Chapter Fifteen

"Hey mom?" I ask.
"Yes Johnny?" She responds.
"Is it okay if I go over dad's house for spring break?" I ask nervously.
"Your father.. The man who has abandoned you for all these years now suddenly wants you to come over." My mother replies hastily.
"Yes mom, he's already bought me a plane ticket. I know it's very sudden." I say.
"You may go, but Johnny please make me one promise." My mom says.
"Sure." I respond.
"If you have a child one day please do not ever take the easy way out and not take part in your child's life. It hurt me, and I bet it hurt you. One thing I've always wanted for my child is to have a mother and a father they could rely on, no matter how harsh the conditions. So please do not ever be that type of father." She tells me, eyes turning glossy.
"Yes mom." I reply, giving her a big hug.
My head begins to feel fuzzy. Does my father really deserve to see me after abandoning me all these years? Occasional calls at the most. I do miss him a lot. I miss having two parents in my life. What's especially not fair is me not raising my own child.
It was truly a wake up call for me. I need to make things right with Kerri, for my child. Would I be willing to spend the rest of my life with a girl I don't care about when I'm in love? Probably not. I am willing to at least be a great father at least. Even if that means not going to college and having to miss out on being a young adult.
I don't even bother to tell Kerri I'm coming over; I just get into my car, and go straight to her house.
I go straight to her apartment door and knock. At least I have enough manners to not just barge in. She answers the door. Her eyes widen, seeing I chose to randomly show up at her place. She plays it off calmly. "Hey Johnny, what a wonderful surprise that you came over! Come in."
I walk in cautiously as if I might step into a trap. Looking at her baby bump I start to second guess myself. Do I really want to do this? I've never even held a baby before! I can't help a tear strolls down my cheek.
"What's wrong?" Kerri asks almost annoyed.
"Look Kerri if we're going to raise a child together I think I need to be completely honest with you." I tell her.
"I think that's a great idea!" Says Kerri being cheerful through this.
"Well to start I'm surprised how calm you've with me. Considering we've truly only been together one night and now you want to start a family with me, and me acting totally horrid to you." I say.
"Well it's understandable you didn't ask for this, niether did I. I'm just glad that it happened with you." She tells me.
"Why would you be happy it's with me?" I ask disoriented.
"Well look at you. You're handsome. I can tell you're a genuine hard working man. You're very charming when I met you, and a great time when we came back here. I learned quite a bit about you at the bar. Your life at college, your job, how you bought your new car, and your house. It shows how you're a stable man. Also I can see how much you care if you didn't you wouldn't have given two shits to come see me, and would've persuaded me into an abortion. Also... Wait why are you crying now?"
"Because everything I told you is a lie!" I scream.
"What do you mean?" She practically yells.
"I'm only seventeen years old. I'm still in highschool. I only work part time at my friend's dad's contruction company. My dad bought that car for me to make up for his absence in my life. I don't want to be with you, I'm already in a relationship... With a man! My life is in shambles in every aspect, and this is making it a thousand time worse. Also that one night when you saw me at the bar, I used a fake I.D." I say hypervenalating.
Kerri sits there for a few minutes. Looking as if she's about to faint.
"Johnny.. I am so sorry I put you through that. Look I have something to admit, but if I tell you promise you won't get mad." She says with a nervous bite on her lip.
"Promise." I mutter.
"The thing is this isn't your baby. It's my exboyfriend's. He broke up with me after I told him I was pregnant. I didn't want to raise they baby alone, and I thought you'd be the perfect guy to raise it with. So I thought I'd just tell you that you were the father. I guess that wasn't fair of me." She says with tears now.
I don't know whether to cheer of cry. "Kerri I completely get how you feel. I'm so sorry you're going through this, but you're beautiful and will find a man that'll love you and your kid. I promise!" I say pulling her into a hug.
"Thanks you Johnny. Though what you did is completely illegal and dangerous, I feel like it's not my place to come at you after I lied to you about so,etching this big. Just please wait till you have an actual I.D. to go to a bar." She said sternly.
"I will, but also your baby's father shouldn't have just walked out on you like that. We need to get a hold of him, so your u don't have to go through this alone." I said
"We?" Kerri asked.
"Yes we. Just because your baby isn't mine doesn't mean I don't care for the baby." I told her
"That means a lot. Could you come over tomorrow then?" She asked.
"As much as I want to help immediately I have to go visit my dad who lives across the country and my plane leaves tomorrow, so once I come back I can surely come." I told her.
"Okay, I understand." She replied.

Authors note

I'm sorry this took so long I actually had this typed for awhile. Thanks for all the support it gives me motivation to write. Make sure to vote and comment. Thanks for reading (:. Also this book will be finished no matter if it's the last thing I do, so don't worry.