Semi Final - Mariposa Henrison (Gemini Female)

Dear Amy,

I did it.

I won.

I came back to you.

So then why aren't I home? Why am I still stuck on this god-forsaken arena, worrying about my life every other second, when I know I won? I was there. I was home.

I should start over. Maybe if I tell you about seeing you, you'll remember it.

I was on the train where it all started, the one that announced these Games in the first place. It passed gorgeous trees and boulders and earth. God, I never thought I'd miss the ground so much.

I missed you more, though. I just wanted to see you, and Rowan, and Mama and Daddy. Lee, Brenn, Michael, Ramsey, I wanted to see the entire district. I wanted to shout names from the rooftops and hug babies and kiss boys and just be, be out of the arena, be with you, be alive.

The train started to slow, and if I leaned back and squinted I could see the treehouses that were our playground as kids. I couldn't stand being so close, yet so far - I even told that to one of the guards that were traveling with me.

He raised an eyebrow and told me it'd be a lot worse when I was deified.

I didn't want to think about it. I knew that when I was made a god, I'd have to lose you, and that's the last thing I wanted. So I didn't think about it. All I thought of was you - the way your mouth scrunches up when you're disgusted or upset, the way you hum unconsciously when you're working hard, your hair, your face, your smile.

I love you, Amy, and I don't say it enough.

The train finally stopped, and I could see the crowds outside my window, all screaming and shouting. I thought I even saw Jenna, the one girl you hated in third grade? But she was swallowed by the undulating crowd soon enough.

"Here we are, miss," the guard said, indifferent to my joy, my utter ecstasy. "Off you go."

They led me to the front of the train, where the cheering got louder. I could barely keep the smile off my face, but I was still nervous. It had been so long, and I had done so much, not all of it good. What would they think of me?

I was answered when the door opened, and the cheerin met my ears. They were chanting my name, over and over again.

"Mari! Mari! Mari!"

People had signs, and papers being shoved into my face, and Lee and Breen were right up in the front row grinning and waving and blowing kisses. I'd never felt more loved.

And then I saw you. I saw Rowan first, really, and he almost tackled me to the ground with his hug, but then I met those mirror-image eyes and I detangled myself from him and ran to you.

The crowd fell almost silent, and it was perfect. You smiled at me, that familiar proud grin that showed up when I mastered meringue and that I got when you won a field hockey game.

"I missed you," I told you, not keeping the grin off my face. "Did- did I do well?"

"Of course you did, Mari," you said, tears filling your eyes. "You did better than well. You won. I couldn't be more happy." You turned to the crowd, then, and shouted it out. "My sister won! She's officially the best!"

Then we hugged, and it was all I could have asked for, especially when Rowan joined in, followed by Mama and Daddy. It was as though the entire district was hugging me.

All I really cared about was you.

Lee and Brenn scrambled under the barrier and hopped up on stage to join us. I waved the guards away and hugged the pair of them, Brenn sobbing with joy - you know how she gets overly emotional. But then, it was a day to be overly emotional, the perfect ending.

And then, suddenly, it faded. The noise was gone, dampened by the returning clouds. I fell forward as Lee and Brenn disappeared, and felt the warmth leave my legs as Rowan's hug faltered, then left altogether.The crowds went quickly, the signs and papers disappearing with the guards, who gave me one last salute before they became translucent, then invisible.

You were the last one to go, the last one to leave me, like always. You smiled again, but this time, it was bittersweet, like you knew what was happening.

"Goodbye, Mari," you whispered. "I love you."

And then you were gone.

I screamed. "No!" It was like the word was ripped from my mouth by the gods themselves, a pure, raw, distraught sound. I howled, beat the betraying clouds with my fists, tore up the smug-looking backpack. It was taunting me, telling me I could never escape.

I could never leave.

Even though I had.

I wanted to cry for hours, worse than when you and I fought and didn't speak for a week. I wanted to be gone, but I couldn't. I was helpless, and worse, I knew it.

I don't know why it happened. I don't know if it was real or not. I don't know if I'll make it out.

I don't know anything.

All I know is that I miss you more than ever. If I don't make it out, if I never come home, just know that I love you, Amy.

I wish I could tell you in person.

Love, Mariposa