"Margo, why didn't yew tell me Lucy came home?" He asked his wife as he stared at Lucille.

"I'll get ya a cup of tea, dear." Margo sang as she avoided the situation and went to the kitchen.

"Hello, Dad, I know it has been too long." Lucille said to his shoes after some time.

"What brings ya down to the lowly streets of Ickwall?" Felix half-joked as he sat in the biggest chair and readied his pipe.

"I came to talk to Carmen. I'm sorry if I have intruded. I can leave if you want, sir." She could barely get the words out, she looked down and picked at her spiked black nails.

She felt his arms around her. He kissed the top of her head and returned to his chair. "Yew should know more then anyone we don't turn people away. Good luck with yer sis, Lucy. She doesn' make much sense these days..."

"Noted...where are you working now? I haven't seen any kids around here." Lucille hoped she wasn't being too nosy, she asked too many questions as a child and that had not changed.

"I count other people's money now. There are no more children to take in and the government shut down our orphanage. People have stopped havin' kids and the kids that are born find placement in the Farms, Mines, Industrial District, or live up top in Genesis. We still have Carmen here, though." His eyes turned misty as he spoke.

"I am so sorry, I wish there was something I could do." Lucille bit her lip.

"Says the President of the Moon Colony..." Felix snorted a laugh.

"Seriously, Dad. None of that was my fault. Everyone thinks I am responsible for the loss of the children, but they are wrong. I just don't know how to prove it yet." Lucille shot.

"Lucy, it may not've been yer fault, but ya saw it happen and still did nothin'. Ya went off to school in the city above and we never saw ya again. I hope the study of...Alien Genetics...has been kind to ya."

"You know what, I'll go see Carmen now. I don't need to go through this again." She rose from her chair and marched up the stairs. She walked down the hall, noticing several rooms sitting empty before she reached the last door.

It was then she began to lose her nerve. After all these years...and the tension in her family, she wasn't sure how much her sister's mental health had deteriorated. Lucille raised her hand to the door and knocked three times, just like she used to.

"Come in" A woman rasped from inside the room.

As Lucille stepped into the room she was struck by the smell of smoke and paper. The room was filled with books and posters of deep space lined the walls. Not much had changed. For the first time in a decade Lucille laid eyes on Carmen, her little sister.

Carmen's face was lit by the streetlight outside the window causing her eyes to look more sunken than they really were, she sat next to the window in rocking chair, steadily smoking a cigarette. Her long black hair was tangled and pinned at the top of her head, long wisps hung down and in her face. Her skin was so ghostly pale and Lucille could see the blue veins under her skin.

When Carmen's gaze passed over Lucille, there was a spark of recognition, then nothing. Lucille went to her sister's side and knelt down to hold her hand. Carmen pulled hers hand back sharply, hissing. Lucille could feel her throat clenching, holding back tears she stood back up and stood next to the window then faced her sister.

"Do you know who I am, Carmen?" Lucille whispered.

"Madame President Lucille Hyde, first woman from Ickwall to become President, a pleasure to see you again. How's the weather up there?" Carmen mimicked a posh Genesis accent, fluttered her eyes and flashed a huge fake smile. A moment later her face was blank and her eyes narrowed.

"You don't have to be like that. I have always sent money here, it just isnt safe to come in person."

"So yew sent yer little assistant instead. Yeah, I see 'em every month when he gives Mom and Dad yer filthy money."

"That money helps keep you all safe and fed. I'm sorry if you don't want to see me, but I want to talk to you about Violet." Lucille braced herself for her little sisters reaction.

"Who?" Carmen's eyebrows rose as a corner of her lip up in a grin. She put her cigarette out in an empty teacup.

"Damn it, Car. You know who. I'm not playing one of your games." She rubbed her neck.

"Oh yeah, my baby little girl your scientists stole. I remember now, thanks for remindin' me. Want me to remind yew about the time ya left us? How yew went off to school and forgot all about Icky lil' Ickwall and everyone in it." Carmen lit another cigarette and blew the smoke at Lucille's face.

"I was NOT in charge of that raid, I swear it! I need to tell you about Violet and where she is now. Remember how I sent her to one of the Farms when it wasn't safe for her here? Well, now she is headed for Vitruvius and I need to get her back. I always said I would tell you how she was doing. I felt I had to tell you this in person." Lucille's hands were shaking and she tucked them under her arms to hide the tremors.

"So ya lost my girl? Who decided to ship off all the kids off in the first place, yew? Archie? I remember Archie, he was so handsome. I was stuck here without the child while the two of yew raised her. Yew have never loved that man, or anyone besides yerself for that matter."

Lucille couldn't speak, she realized she was crying when a tear hit her chest.

"Awh, Lucy is gonna cry because her little sister was mean. I thought I was supposed to be the baby. Hah! Get out of here, I don't want to hear about yew.. or the girl... or Archie. Better leave before I start to scream. And don't come back again." Carmen began to giggle hysterically, rocking in her chair, clutching her teacup ashtray.

Lucille was edging back towards the door when Carmen threw the teacup at the wall, sending glass flying everywhere. Lucille hurried out the door but looked back one last time at Carmen. She wondered again how she had loved such creature and suddenly Carmen looked so much like Violet it scared Lucille.

*

Woah, you guys... I love Ickwall. If you were excited to finally get a glimpse of the city, please leave a comment and vote. 

Did you learn anything new in this chapter?

Which caracter as your favorite?