Chapter 42 - Seeds of Distrust

Start from the beginning

"Can I finish up now?" Lauren asked feeling very, very annoyed. Leon may have been a hero now but that didn't make him any less of an ass. "Although why you wanted to hear this is beyond me."

"Closest thing I have to some recognition my dear Lauren." Leon said stretching his arms before he folded them behind his head. "Continue."

Leon arrived and after taking on his demon form he managed to destroy the remnants of Skorge's followers until only the rebel leader himself was left.

"Hey Leon?" Lauren said pausing her report and making Leon open one of his eyes to look at her. Unless her eyes were playing tricks on her she could've sworn that Leon's eyes were getting brighter, they were a deep blood red before Skorge, but now they were a shade of red that just seemed- brighter. "What ever happened to Skorge and the others? The Chain say that they've been dealt with. Does that mean...?"

"If you're asking if the Chain killed them the answer is no." Leon said in his usual blunt tone. "They're all locked up in some new cages."

"But what makes them think Skorge won't just rip his way out like he did last time?" Leon looked as if he were deciding on whether or not he should tell her or not so to move things along she said something else. "You told me everything else, what makes this secret so special?"

"Fair enough." Leon said with a shrug. "Skorge and most of his men are being held in a new type of cage like I said. Nick is actually the one that designed them. Except for that one who helped us, Quinn I think was his name. Turns out the Demon Council sees a lot of potential uses for a demon who can manipulate some else's mind. That and he pledged utter fealty to them. Anyway do you remember those gloves I always wore on our first few jobs together?"

She did. As Lauren remembered it, they were made out of a new alloy that Nick had created that actually conducted a demon's energy and made it stronger. "Dragonskin right? Is that what the cages are made of?"

"Yeah, Nick was allowed a temporary visa to go back and help make them since the esteemed Doctor Ramon didn't have the slightest clue as to how to make it." Lauren couldn't help but notice that hint of scorn in Leon's voice when he mentioned the Good Doctor. Then again he was the reason why Nick got deported from the Chain so she couldn't exactly blame him for not liking him. "It worked on all of them but as soon as he was able to Skorge was trying to rip his way out again so- well they bled him"

"Bled him?"

"They cut a big vein and they kept on cutting it until Skorge couldn't fight back anymore. Once he was out they put a few needles in him, and by I few I mean at least four for every major blood vessel, the needles kept his blood flow at the bare minimum. If you went to go see him you might think it as cruel, he has like no meat on his face anymore and he looks like that one guy." Lauren made a face at him as Leon started to snap his fingers trying to remember 'that one guy.' "You know who I'm talking about. The guy on the cross."

"They crucified him?!?" Lauren exclaimed. "That's illegal to do that!"

"Hey what people don't know don't hurt them." Leon said casually. "Besides, we the Chain can't actually kill him. Like I said if you saw it you'd think it's cruel but they see it as him paying his dues."

"What did they do to him Leon?" Lauren asked not sure if she actually wanted to know.

"Well on top of the needles keeping his body from producing enough blood for him to function. They stuck conductors directly into his bones. The size and number depends on the bone so I really couldn't tell you how much. But those are connected to the detention facility's generator. Think of him like a battery, except you know, one that can talk."