Chapter 9

I took a deep breath before go in my house.

I was afraid of Leah's reaction. My sister was... stubborn and I knew she wouldn't like of what I was going to tell her, she would kick in every step of the conversation and it would not be pleasant.

Breathing deeply again, I opened the door.

The living room was empty but I could hear my sister on her room, listening to music. Gathering every bit of courage in my heart I called her.

She came down stairs, saying hello to me and sit on the couch when I told her that we needed to talk.

After a good fifteen minutes, I had told her everything that had happened between me and Silver, including what I was planning to do, and she was so pissed off that I was preparing myself to hear her scream.

- YOU WANT TO DO WHAT?!

- Lee...

- Don't "Lee..." me! You're not going to fight!

- She is my mate! I will not let him have her! - I shouted back, getting up of the couch, too.

- And you're my brother! I'm sorry that she was going through all that, but you cannot fight, you'll get killed! It's an Alpha, for the love of God! - she argue, clenching her hands into fists and gazed at me furiously.

- I have an Alpha's blood in my veins, I have a chance! Silver doesn't! I will fight, Lee, and you cannot stop it.

Turning around, my sister wiped her tears angrily, kicking a chair. She, certainly, had my temper.

I hugged her closely, comforting her. I knew she was hurting but she had to understand my position. When her mate found her - many, many years later though - he would fight for her, with no doubt, it was instinctive, we had to protect our mates.

Kissing my sister's cheek, I wiped away a few more tears.

- Lee, you know I have to do this... Please, I need you to understand.

- You will die... - she sobbed, burying her face on my neck like she used to do when she was little. I was feeling an asshole, at that moment, I had already made the two most important persons on my life cry in that single day. - I can't lose you...

- You won't. I promise.

I stayed with Leah all night, comforting her, calming her. I took care of my sister when she cried herself to sleep, completely exausted. Even when she, finally, collapsed, I didn't leave her bed. I stayed all night.

When the morning came, neither of us went to school.

The atmosphere around us was tense and grim when she advised me, helping me to prepare for the fight. We ran, we hunt and we just spent time together, knowing that it was a chance it would be the last time. Neither one of us wanted to think in the consequences.

The morning passed, then the afternoon and then was twilight.

- Lee, go home. - I said, at the boundary.

- No, I'm coming with you.

- No! I don't want you to see it!

- Axel, I'm coming. I'll be there with you, every step of the way. - she insited, sniffling a little.

Giving up of trying to send her away, I started walking. I knew that she would follow me and that could be even more dangerous.

We shifted and started running, my black wolf with emerald green eyes next to the dark grey wolf with clear and bright green eyes. We ran for twenty minutes before the wolves started howling, acknowledging our presence in their territory. Soon, we were surrounded by at least ten wolves.

They gave us some space so we quickly shifted back so we could speak.

- We mean no harm for any of you. - my sister started, formally. - We only have one purpose...

- I challenge Ryan, Alpha of the Nightwalker's Pack. - I finished.

The all forest went dead silent. The wolves did not howl or snarl, the birds did not sing, the wind did not blow as loud. Then, several minutes later, a single wolf, of the group that was surrounding us, howled, summoning his Alpha.

Ten minutes later, Ryan appeared.

He was a tall man, maybe 6 feet and 3 inches tall, with dark brown hair and brown eyes, he was muscled, maybe a little more muscled than me. And his aura was dark, dangerous, vicious. But, for the first time since I had walk in his territory, I wasn't afraid. I was ready.

A few seconds later, Silver appeared, completly terrified. When she tried to come to my side, Ryan grabbed her arm, roughly, and pulled her back. I snarled at him and was about to jump on him when my sister pulled me back.

- I accept your challenge. - the all might Alpha declared, growling defiantly at me.