Chapter 15

"KRISS!"
Tiny whispers at me harshly. I jerk up in my seat, and she stifles a laugh. I nudge her and she sticks her tongue out at me.
"Anyway, five minutes."
I nod at her and I return to eavesdropping on the girls.
"Stupid dress rules. Blue isn't my color."
"Royal colors. They should just have us wear whatever we want. That'll make America's dress pop even more."
Elana says annoyingly.
"Be lucky that you can wear royal dresses."
"Says the one who got eliminated by slapping someone."
Yikes. Anna got burned...and she looks very hurt. She tries to strike back but she can't.
"Well we all got eliminated, so we can't say anything."
All of them nod and sigh.
"I think I was too quiet."
Fiona peeps. Yeah sure. Whatever.
"I was too confident."
Bariel says. All of them sneer at her.
"What?"
"You hung out with Celeste. Of course you were too confident."
Olivia points out. Bariel slinks into her chair.
"I don't know what I did wrong. I'm pretty sure Maxon was too in love with America to notice anyone else."
I cleared my throat but none of them turned around.
"Ignore."
Tiny says to herself. Then everything stops and people stand up, with sudden music. America. I can't see her, but I figured my time will come soon. She's walking with that Ledger guard. He's cute, but not really my type. Besides, I'm sure he has a lover. I look towards Maxon who is trying to hide his excitement and is standing up as stiff as a stick. All of the Selection girls are also standing up stiff, some smiling and some with straight faces. America looks outstanding. Her wedding dress is one of a kind. On top of her big huge wedding dress, she's wearing a cape like coat that's dragging behind her. It looks painful and heavy to walk in, but America is handling it very well. When she reaches to my seat aisle, we exchange glances. She smiles and continues walking, and then we all sit down. Maxon whispers something to America and she silently laughs. They say their vows and look happy all through it. (A/n I don't know weddings. So I'm going to skip!)
When it's all done, Maxon and America run out, which seems hard for her, but easy for him. We're all excused for the reception, which America looks different for because she isn't wearing her cape. Everybody is dancing; with their partner, their wife, their friend, or a guard. I'm sitting in the corner, trying to blend into the walls.
"Uhm, hi? Are you with anyone?"
I look up to see a guard looking at his feet. He looks new, recently drafted.
"No."
I say, confidently, trying to get this guard away.
"W...would you like to dance?"
I didn't want to upset him, so I nod my head and stand up. He perks up and grins. His name tag reads "AMOTES". Yep, never heard or seen him.
"So.. Uh.. You..."
"I'm Kriss, yes."
He seems so happy and innocent. He's actually pretty cute.
"I'm 18 too!"
He blurts. I laugh, and he blushes, obviously embarrassed.
"Sorry..."
"No you're fine! I just haven't interacted with a male figure like this in a long time. It's nice."
I say with a genuine smile, and he beams.
We dance for a while, swaying side to side with the music.
"So where are you from?"
"Columbia. You?"
"Kent."
"Ah. My fanboy doesn't know where I live eh?"
I laugh at my joke but he stiffens a bit.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."
"No problem."
He's relaxes but is still stiff compared to before.
After the song ends he grins a bit and bows, and leaves. I stand there in shock for a second but then return to my original position.