Chapter 4

When America and Maxon catch up to me, I'm on the bench regretting all my life decisions and contemplating the meaning of life.
"Kriss."
Maxon says firmly. I don't reply.
"Kriss."
America says this time, a bit softly. I still don't budge.
"Can you at least talk to us?"
"Sure. What else do you want me to tell you? You'll make a great couple? I'm sure you will. Great rulers? Make that fantastic. What else do you want from me?!"
They step back a bit, obviously shocked from my random outburst. I sigh and take a breath, finally ready to stand up and face my problems. I brush myself off, and keep my head low while I go inside. I take a deep breath and go upstairs towards my room. America waves at me, but I ignore her and walk into my room. Maxon comes in shortly after. I look down.
"Do you really think I don't like you?"
"I never said that."
"Well you implied it. Your tone and your speech."
"Whatever. I hope you have a great life with America. I'm going to pack up now. Please leave."
I mutter. He opens his mouth to say something more but he closes it and obliges. I take out my suitcase from under the bed, and start putting in my belongings.
The next day, I wake up to birds chirping outside. Today is the day I go back to Columbia. I wake up, scanning my room. I get out of my royal canopy bed for the last time, and get dressed. One of my maids said,
"You should go out in style."
So I change into a bright, sleeveless silver dress with light blue heels. It may be hard to walk in but it might be the last royal dress I will wear. My maids do my hair and makeup, and put on the jewelry, and I really look like a One. I hear a knock at my door and one of my maids open the door. A butler comes in to take my suitcases, and then leaves immediately. A few minutes later, another knock is heard at my door, and I open the door. Maxon is there, alone, and he looks at me head to toe. He whistles, and I raise my eyebrows. America shows up, and for the first time, I feel as if I look more dazzling than her.

"Hey, Kriss."

"Hi, America."

America smiled and walked away, while Maxon stepped into my room unexpectedly.
"So, um about yesterday..."
He starts.
"It's fine."
I slightly nod and look down at my feet.
"So I guess this is farewell then?"
I say.
"Yes indeed. Farewell. Ah, America made fun of me for saying 'shall'. I bet she'd make fun of me for 'farewell'."
"Education."
I say, under my breath. He hears me.
"Yes, education is valuable."
There's a silence between us and I shuffle my feet and play with my hands. Maxon stands up and I briefly look up at him before looking down again.
"So, friends?"
He asks, politely.
"Well, I thought we already were, but then come to think of it... I guess we're not. I'm not going to see you personally ever again, and surely America doesn't want company here so you cannot just invite me–"
"Kriss, America likes you. It's just the matter of fact if you like her."
I want to say no. I have to say no. I should hate her. She never stayed loyal to Maxon. I did.
I don't say anything.
"Think about it." Maxon pitches in, but I'm quick to have a response.
"Well I don't need to know if I like America or not. It's not like I'm going to see you guys like now ever again, so I'm not going to."
Another moment of silence. The air between us is thick, and I know we've drifted apart in the days since the attack. I'm sure he knows too.
"Well, I got to go." Maxon says, trying to either get away from this situation or just trying to break the ice, "but I'll see you later."
He smiles weakly and walks out, leaving me strangely fuming. I say my last good-byes to my maids who have served me well over the weeks. I go down to the main floor for a short breakfast with America. We barely talk to each other, and she asks a few questions trying to be friendly, which I give one word answers to. After a few minutes, she stops and we continue eating our food in silence. I leave my plates on the table and leave without saying a word. I go up to the second floor to start getting ready for my big exit.