Chapter 7

~A few weeks later~

I come home from a nice somewhat peaceful walk. Many reporters still stick around, but the chaos has settled down. I pick up the mail and returned to the house. I put the mail on the counter and started separating the mail; to my father, to my mother, and to me. Recently, there has been more mail addressed to me than my parents. I come across one that was from Maxon and America. I was impatient to wait and opened it immediately.

Dear Kriss Ambers,

America Singer and Maxon Schreave have invited you to their wedding.

I barely read the last few lines before shouting for my parents. They come done worried, but when I tell them the news, they have a smile on there faces but a sad look in their eyes. I know why; I bet I had the same look when I first read the letter.

A few hours later, I need my own time, so I go out on another walk. I run into my old friend Alyssa, and she greets me happily. I feel guilty that I haven't even talked to her since I left for the Selection, but she seems as if I just came back from Angeles.

"Do you have a fiance yet?"

She asks out of the blue. I guess I put an awful look on my face because she says,

"Oh my gosh! I am so sorry!"

She says apologetically. She hugs me and winks.

" I know some boys for you. Do you want me to introduce some for you?"

"Sure, but maybe in a month. I need to settle down and get over... things."

Alyssa nods and smiles.

"I'll see you around. You can phone me or come to my house when you're ready."

She winks again and waves, walking towards her house. I smile to myself, knowing that having a friend like Alyssa is going to help me through tough times. I walk back towards my house, not wanting to continue on my stroll any longer. I barge into the house, and Mom seems to be surprised.

"What?"

She says, somewhat angrily. 

"I ran into Alyssa!"

Mom shrugs, and goes back to cooking dinner. I walk into my room and look for something to do. Since I can't occupy my time well, I decide to read a book and study.

"DINNER!"

I hear my mom yell. I dash out into the dining room, my stomach wanting anything edible. I dove into the food like there's no tomorrow. After dinner, I write a letter accepting the invite to the royal wedding.

The next day, I send out the letter and go to Alyssa's house.

"Hey!"

She says, very enthusiastically. I peek inside her house, and wave at her mom.

"My dad is out working. He's working as a college professor now!"

"What about your mom?"

I ask.

"She opened up an office in our house so now she's an at-home psychologist."

"Oh, I missed a lot, haven't I?"

I grin. She nudges me playfully.

"So, what brings you here?"

"Is it possible that you can find me a date in a few days?"