Chapter Fourteen

Vascaria's P.O.V.

I had my head rested in the palm of my hand, supported by my desk. History was so boring, I knew everything about it so I usually just slept through the class. Like most of my classes, History wasn't very challenging at all considering I was part of it. I was slowly drifting off into dreamland, when a small piece of paper slid onto my desk and hit my elbow. It looked like somebody had passed me a note. I opened it up and smiled as I read it.

'Are you actually falling asleep? Thats adorable:P'

I looked over at the desk next to me to see Joey smiling like a fool, now that was adorable. Quickly I wrote back to him on the same piece of paper. I tossed it over to his desk and watched as he opened it to read it.

I wrote back: 'Yes of course I'm falling asleep. Do you have any idea how boring Mr. Eaton is? I know everything about history, so I see no point in staying awake when I know I'll just ace whatever test comes next.'

When he looked up at me from the paper, I stuck my tongue out at him playfully. We both turned around and starting listening to the lecture again. Same as always, it bored me to sleep. I started drifting off again, expecting to see Joey in my dreams, instead I was frightened by my past.

The year was 1432 A.D., I had been traveling with another vampire, with the facade as a pilgrim. His name was Luke, but everyone called him Little Lucky. His height was the reason for that. We had known one another from the time of my birth--yes, souphix's can be born--and he had always been close to me. I thought of us as good friends until he tried to rape me. He had been showing signs of mental instability for quite some time after I had fully grown. I never would have expected him to take things so far. But when he forced himself upon me he wasn't the Luke I had known. Something was turned off in him. His sanity, his morals, I couldn't tell. But ever since then he had been straight crazy. One night I had to end his insanity for good and save the world and myself from the pain he could inflict on myself and everybody. I thought I had killed him, but my dream said otherwise. I saw him, running through the trees menacingly with anger and at a record speed. He was determined for something, or someone. He looked haggard, simply terrible, maybe this was after I "killed" him? All I knew was he was on a mission. But that could not be possible. I had killed him indefinitely......or did I? There was no way he could be roaming the earth once again. Unless this wasn't a true dream. I don't see how thats possible though... Suddenly everything went completely black. Before I jumped out of my dream and into reality, I heard a voice whisper: 'I'm Coming for you...'

Startled, I jumped a little in my seat as the bell wrung loudly. My breath was short and my palms were pale and clammy. I found it hard to focus, the room spun around me. Joey was in front of me, looking at me worriedly.

"Hey, you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah...um yeah, I'm fine." I gave him a half-hearted smile.

I gathered my books and walked with Joey out of the room to our next class. I was silent on the way there as the crowd flowed around us and I couldn't help but feel a little creeped out by my dream. Maybe I was being paranoid? It's not like the last whispers of that flashback were true.....were they? Was part of that even a flashback? I didn't want to admit it but I felt as if I had had a vision of the future, which scared me most of all. As these thoughts battled in my head I felt myself come to an abrupt stop. Joey had tugged my arm so I faced him.

"Vascaria tell me what's going on. Now." His eyes were pleading with me to spill the last hours worth of endless anxieties that I was having.

I didn't know if it was best to tell him. How would he react to the fact that, even in the slightest chance, my crazy ex friend -who honestly thought we were a 'thing'- was going to come after me? And another thing, if Luke really did come after me, how would I protect Joey? If Luke found out about Joey, that's even if he's actually still alive, surely he'd go after him to hurt me, and I could not let that happen.

"Vascaria!" Joey almost yelled. "Vascaria, what the hell is going on?!" At this point he looked extremely on edge.

I took his hand and led him out of the doors of school, we got to my car and once we were both in I sped off towards downtown. We made it to a Starbucks and sat down at one of the little cafe tables. I nervously ruffled my hair as I began to speak.

"Ha.....ehh.....umm.....well, Joey.....a long, long time ago I was traveling with this guy named Luke. We had known each other for a very long time, practically since birth, and we traveled together from one village to the next. He had been alright for most of our time together until some time in my 70th year. Something happened to him that changed the way he was. He became really distant and changed, he was not the same person I had known my whole life. He shut me out but when we were closer he would be aggressive and harsh. Worse came to worst and I had to kill him because of a misunderstanding of sorts. Back in class I was having a dream about him, and at the end of the dream he said, well something said: 'I'm coming for you'."

Joey's face looked a little blank. I could tell in his eyes that he was thinking deeply about something. I sighed with a very prolonged exhaling, and laid my head on the cool surface of the faux wood table that we were sitting at. My eyelids felt heavy and I was slowly drifting off yet again, when I felt Joey push the hair out of my eyes. I glanced up at him through my eye lashes and saw a small smile play at his lips.

"You said you killed him, right? Well maybe if the dream was right, then possibly you didn't kill him all the way. Maybe he was close to dying and he got all healed up like the wolves in Old Moon, you know that stupid vampire-werewolf story by that lady."

I giggled a little. "You mean New Moon?" I corrected him and smiled. He smiled back.

"Whatever, that doesn't matter, all I know is that those wolf things have like accelerated healing, and if your dream is right then maybe that's what happened..."

I thought about it for a second. I'd have to ask my dad whether it was true or not if vampires can or can't heal quickly. Maybe I should ask him if that makes a difference to me if I got injured...hmmm.

"Ok, let's go to my house." I said as I grabbed Joey's hand.

"Why?"

"We need to ask my dad about the whole healing thingamajig" I said

"Okay then..."

Once in the car, I turned on the radio and began humming with the music that played. I recognized the tune from the TV or somewhere....

'But I set fire,

to the rain!

Watched it pour,

as I touched your face...'

This song was completely taking me to another place, another world. I got lost in the incredible words without even trying. I lost my sense of presence and completely let go of my stresses. The song was perfect, and beautiful. It was untouched by madness, tinged with sorrow, just enough for you to realize that the greatest love you would ever have was beside you.

-----------------------------------------