Chapter 82

Okay so the part where Harry survived because Lily sacrificed herself has always bugged me because Lily couldn't have been the first mother in the history to have sacrificed herself for her child.

I was rereading the series and watching the movies when something clicked.

We all know how magical oaths are binding and breaking one could lead to being stripped of your magic and your death.

Well, I was reading when Snape figured out that Lily's son was the one that Voldemort was after and begged Voldemort to spare Lily's life. Voldemort actually agreed to spare her, promised Snape even- and meant it even because if you remember, he killed James Potter without second thought but told Lily to "stand aside" Like Voldemort actually did intend to keep his promise to Snape.

I think he accidentally created a magical oath at that moment when he promised Snape to spare Lily. So when he did kill her, he broke his oath and was killed as a result. So the next time he cast a spell or did magic, it was snap back and strip him of his life. It just so happened that the next bit of magic he performed was the killing curse at Harry. Instead of killing Harry it back lashed at Voldemort and would have killed him had it not been for the Horcruxes.