Chapter 81

So sometimes I think about Harry Potter being in the Aurors.

He'd never really thought about child protective services, Muggle or otherwise, cause it'd never been relevant, right? Like when he was a miserable kid he just thought that was what it was like being an orphan. But then he sees cases come through the department where parents are murdered and there's kids sitting in their waiting room with copies of the Quibbler and water waiting while an Auror sits down with a family tree and tries to find whatever relatives this kid might have in the wizarding world, going back maybe even five generations to find anyone living and vaguely related to this child to drop them off with.

And he goes to crap apartments in Diagon Alley after noise complaints and finds children who are black and blue with hexed, bleeding skin who insist they were just playing with a Weasley's Wizard Wheeze, No really Mr. Potter.

And he thinks about how Merope Gaunt stumbled into a Muggle orphanage and left them a child who would grow up learning fear was the key to harmony, and becoming immortal was the most important thing.

And really, how was the headmaster of a school the person who made the call about where he ended up? How was the system so haphazard that a man who wouldn't be part of his life for another ten years got to make the biggest decision of his life?

Harry thinks about his cupboard.

And then Harry Potter sits down with Hermione and Ron and Neville (because of course Neville would want a stake in this) and says, "We need to change the wizarding world again."

And they do.