"Have a seat, Potter," Severus instructed.

Obidiently, Harry walked over to the chair perched in front of his professor's desk and sat down. The way he was acting, shy and quiet, Severus had no doubt that Harry thought he was in trouble. That suspicion was confirmed only seconds later.

"Have I done something wrong, sir?" Harry asked softly.

Severus walked over to him and stooped until his eyes were level with Harry's. He had noticed Alaina approach him this way before and it always seemed to comfort him a little. "You have done nothing wrong, Harry. The only reason I brought you down here was to make sure you were really alright. Your mother will be down here in a few minutes to see you."

Relief flooded Harry's expression. He had thought for sure that he was in trouble for what happened in the dueling club. "Good. I need to talk to her. Somehow she always knows what to say to make me feel better."

Severus smiled. "I know what you mean."

Harry frowned. "Sir, I was wondering if- Well-" He sighed. He just didn't know exactly how to put it. His eyes glistened with tears. "I just don't understand this."

Severus stared at him blankly. It was clear Harry was upset because the tears in his eyes started to fall. Severus was silently panicking. He wasn't good with tears, so he did the very first thing that came to his mind.

"Harry, I don't do this often and it's not really something you should come to expect from me." He opened his arms wide. "But I can tell that you really need some support right now and this is the best way I can think of to console you."

Tears streamed down Harry's face. He was sort of shocked at the man before him. He didn't know what to do. Should he lean forward or let Severus come to him? Deciding quickly, he leaned forward and wrapped his arms around Severus before he changed his mind and pulled away. Severus squeezed him tightly. Harry was so relieved that he hugged him that it produced more tears. He had to get it out. He blushed, extremely embarrassed by his display of emotions. Severus held him there. He had to let him get it out.

"Well, isn't this sweet to behold?" a voice said from behind them.

The sudden presence in the room caused them both to jump. Severus let Harry go and his eyes wandered to the door. Alaina was leaning up against the door frame, a smile on her face.

"What's going on?" she asked.

"Professor Snape was comforting me," Harry responded.

Alaina walked inside and shut the door behind her. "He was?" She glanced at Severus gratefully and then back at her son. She could tell that he had been crying. His eyes were red. "That's really great. I'm glad he did, but why did he need to? What are you so upset about?"

Severus stood up as she walked closer to Harry. He was eager to hear Harry's answer. Harry shrugged shyly.

"I was just feeling a little down with what happened. I just feel like everybody's going to think I'm some sort of freak or something." He twisted his hands nervously in his lap. "But I haven't been doing this. The attacks."

Alaina stared at him. "Of course not. Why would you even think that?"

"I-I don't know Why didn't I know I could talk to snakes?"

"That's a good question, Harry. I'm sorry I don't have the answer for you, sweetheart."

Severus cleared his throat. "Harry, some things do not show themselves until the time is right or the situation presents itself. Just like when you were told you were a wizard. Magic had presented itself before when you needed it, but only then."