Chapter 1

This chapter is very short due to low efficiency.

Emerald's POV

The morning sun poured through the curtains, hitting me directly in the eyes. I winced as I pulled the curtains closed and sat up in my bed, rubbing my eyes. Another day at the headquarters. 

I took a shower and brushed my teeth before putting on a tight fitting khaki skirt and a white blouse along with a blazer. 

"Good morning, mommy!" My six year old, Sapphire, said, poking her head through the doorway. 

"Good morning, baby." I said as I scooped her up for a kiss. I positioned her on my hip as I fixed my hair and makeup and grabbed my handbag before heading downstairs. 

The smell of chocolate chip pancakes and bacon filled my nostrils as I sat Sapphire in a chair. My eyes landed on my husband as he shared out large pancakes and a generous hand of whipped cream on top along with some orange juice to Sapphire and my six year old boy, Ashton. I sat down at the table and quickly ate my breakfast as I stopped frequently to answer text messages from associates at work. 

When I was finished, I handed my husband the dish before giving him and each of my children a kiss and heading for the door. 

"Bye, mommy." Sapphire said. "Will you be here when I come home?" 

I shrugged before kneeling down to face her. "I don't know when. Mommy is always busy." 

She looked at her feet. "I know." 

"Mommy, will you come to my soccer game today?" 

Ashton was on the soccer team at his school and a great player. "I will try to be there. Now, I have to go, but I love you and I will see you when I get home." 

"Okay." They both said. 

I smiled as I gave them each a hug and headed for the door.

I pulled out my keys as I came closer to my car and unlocked the doors. 

As I drove down the street, I got a notification on my cell phone. When I stopped at the traffic light, I pulled out my phone to glance and see what the notification was. It was a just a text from my husband wishing me a good day at work and he had a surprise for me when I got home.

I smiled to myself as the light turned green again and I pulled into the parking lot of my building. 

I parked my car in my reserved spot and grabbed my handbag from the passenger seat before climbing out and locking the doors. 

"Hello, Mrs. Truth." My secretary said, greeting me as I walked through the double glass doors.

"Good morning, Caroline."

"I emailed you the things that the board wants completed by the end of the week."

"Thank you. And what about Mr. Alexander? I'm assuming that you've spoken to him already."

"He called yesterday after you left to confirm his interview. He said that he will be here around three o'clock later on today."

I nodded. "Great. Email Mr. Grimaldi and tell him that I want to speak with him about the Los Angeles renovations."

"Yes, ma'am." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caleb's POV

My hands shivered as I came face to face with the terrifying news. 

"W-what do you mean I-I'm fired?" I asked my boss, Dr. Stephen Williams. 

The sunlight highlighted his sunken wrinkles around his eyes and nose as his lips pressed into a tight line. 

"I know that it's a lot to take in now, but you just aren't certified to be a chief of commission at this facility anymore. I could pri-" 

I held up my right hand as I took a final glance at my holster that I used to pull anything I wanted out of. Tears were nearing their carrying capacity and I suddenly felt as if I needed a soda. 

"I understand." I stood up and forced my lips into an upside-down U as I shook his hand. He stood up as well. "I will see you soon." And with that, I pushed the door open without a backwards glance. 

The only thing I was worried about now was how the hell I was supposed to pick up my wife from work tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~