Prologue Part 2

Emerald's POV 

The next morning, I woke up around twelve o'clock in the afternoon with the sun shining through my window. I sat up groggily and snatched my phone off of the nightstand and scrolling through Instagram. As I looked through my feed, my thoughts drifted to Caleb. 

Caleb Alexander. The star football player of the school and the best player of the school. With his million dollar smile and warm brown eyes, it was no wonder that he had girls flocking him every time he stepped out of the house. 

My mind went back to when he gave me his number and told him I will call when I wanted to go out. Only I was scared out of my mind. I opened my phone dial-pad and punched in Serena's speed dial number. She picked up on the second ring. 

"Hello?" 

"Hey, Serena." I said. "What's up?" 

"Nothing much. What are you doing?" 

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about. Can you come over now? Like right now?" 

"Sure!" She said. "I'll be there in ten." 

Usually when people said a number, that usually referred to minutes. But with Serena, it referred to seconds. Since my house was directly a few feet away from hers, it would take a climb through a window to reach here. 

As promised, she was out of her house and in my room in about fifteen seconds. 

"You know that it is dangerous to just have our windows open like this." I said as she stepped into my room. 

She shrugged. "So? Don't nobody come around here anyway besides social workers and the ice cream truck." 

I nodded. Although we lived in the suburbs, we lived in the "black" part which was mainly inhabited by blacks and Hispanics. 

"So what's up?" Serena said. "Did you call Caleb as yet?" She wiggled her eyebrows when she said "Caleb", 

I tossed a pillow at her before sitting up in my bed, laughing. "That's what I called you over here for. I don't think I can do it." 

"Why not?" Serena asked incredulously. "He obviously likes you." 

"No. Just because he asked me out does not mean that he likes me." 

"Give me the phone. I will call him." She sat on the side of my bed and extended her hand. I handed over my phone and watched in fear and anticipation as she searched for the number that I plugged into my phone and putting the phone on speaker. He picked up on the third ring. 

"Hello?" His voice sounded through the microphone. His voice sounded so smooth, my stomach did a flip. 

"Hey, Caleb." Serena said, glancing at me and smiling. 

"Who is this?" He asked. 

"Serena. Emerald's friend. I was just calling to let you know that Emerald told me that she would love to go out to the movies later on tonight." 

My eyes bulged out of my head as I lunged for the phone and attempted to snatch it from her. I didn't expect her to make the date this evening. She successfully dodged my lunge and with one hand, twisted my arm around my back and sat on top of me. Her mouth flew across my mouth and was held there firmly. I attempted to talk and bite her hand but I couldn't do that with my hand behind my back.

"Really? She said that?" He asked sarcastically. 

"Would I lie to you, Caleb?" She replied in her sweet voice. 

"Considering that I hardly know you, yes. Where is Emerald anyway?" 

"She just left for the mall to pick out an outfit for tonight."