Chapter 13 - Message on a Rock

As a reflex Styles wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me behind the counter as glass flew everywhere. A second rock then came hurdling through the window on the other side of the door, landing closer to us and causing glass to actually hit us. Most of Styles' body was wrapped around mine so I was only pelted by a few small pieces.

        "Son of a bitch," Styles muttered.

        My heart was racing out of fear, but my blood was also boiling with anger. Without thinking I stood up and walked across the glass, luckily I had my flip flops on, and picked up the second rock that was thrown.

        "Charlie, what are you doing?" Styles asked, now getting up as well.

        I didn't respond. Instead I swung open the front door just as Jackson was driving away and threw the rock as hard as I could towards his car. 

        "No, no, no," Styles tried to stop me by pulling me back into the house but it was too late. The rock ended up hitting his back right tire but it didn't do anything, he still sped off.

        "Styles, let go. We have to get his plate number and call the cops," I tried to squirm out of his grip but he only held me tighter.

        "Charlie, listen to me," he said trying to calm me down, "it's no use."

        "What? Why?" I asked.

        "Come on, you know Ray and his family. His father is the deputy of the town. That's how I was charged so easily the first time," he explained. "Ray and Jackson's fathers are close and if we don't have any real proof that it was Jackson, then calling the cops won't do a damn thing."

        I sighed, "you can't deal with that though." I said referring to all the shit Ray and now Jackson is putting him through.

        "I have been for the past two years," he responded, while rubbing his hand up and down my arms to calm me. That's when I realized his forearm was bleeding.

        "Styles, you have glass in your arm," I said holding his hand up so I could analyze it.

        "I didn't even notice that, it's not that bad," he shook his head.

        "No, we have to get that out of your arm," I said as I led him to the bathroom. "Where are your tweezers?" I asked as he sat down on the edge of the bathtub.

        "Bottom left drawer."

        Successfully finding them and pulling out a band-aid as well, I turned to Styles and he held out his arm for me.

        "Do I get a kiss after this for being a good patient?" he asked and without having to looking up I already knew there would be a smirk on his face.

        "Depends," I said while pulling out the glass which made him wince.

        "Ow, why so rough?" he asked. "You know, you're not a very good doctor," he added while I applied the band-aid.

        "And you're not a very good patient, so no kiss for you," I laughed.

        I guess he didn't like my answer as he pulled me down on top of him and connected his lips with mine, but he pulled me down too hard and we both ended up falling backwards into the bathtub. We both started laughing until he snaked his hand behind my neck and pulled me in for another kiss. His lips were soft and I could smell a mixture of his cologne and mint which sent me into a trance.  Being lost in our own little world a voice coming from the kitchen caused us to stop.

        "What the fuck happened?"

        "Charlie sucks at baseball!" Styles yelled back.

        I hit his chest and got up, "this is no time to be joking around." He followed my actions by getting up and we walked out to the kitchen to find a very confused looking Noah.

        "No seriously, what happened?" Noah asked again.

        "Jackson." Was all Styles had to say for Noah to figure out what was going on.

        "What a fucking loser."

        "Well, we should probably clean this up," I looked at the mess and then something caught my eye. On the rock there was a small piece of paper taped to it. While the boys went to get a the dust pans and brooms, I took the opportunity to grab the note. Reading the small font that I could easily identify as Ray's handwriting it said;

        "Don't get too comfortable with your boy toy there. Remember we have a little secret that would just break poor little Harry's heart. Meet me at the pier tonight at 10 o'clock to see how you can prevent that from happening. -Ray"

        Knowing exactly what secret he was talking about, I shoved the note in my back pocket and made a metal note to go to that pier tonight. Styles can not know this secret. It would crush him.

        "Dude, I swear to god I need a break from these people," Noah huffed out as they returned and started cleaning.

        "Actually, that's not a bad idea," I said.

        "What do you mean?" Styles asked.

        "We need to take a break from all the shit that's been going on lately. We should take a trip over to one of the more populated islands and just have a good time," I suggested.

        "The six of us could go," Styles nodded his head.

        "When should we go?" Noah asked.

        "We can see if everyone is good for tomorrow night and just stay up for two or three days," I said and both boys agreed and we got to work.

         As we cleaned Harry eventually left to go to the bathroom and as I was crouched down to sweep up the last few pieces of glass Noah pulled the note out of my back pocket.

        "What's this?" he asked as he opened it and began reading it. I tried to take it away from him, but he only held it higher so I couldn't reach it. "What secret Charlie?" he asked and I could tell he was worried.

        "Don't worry, I'll tell you later. I just gotta figure some things out first," I said, finally snatching the note from his hand and shoving it back in my pocket.

        "Wait, you're not actually going to meet up with him, are you?"

        "Yes, I have to. Harry can't know this secret."

        "Did you cheat on him?" Noah immediately asked.

        "What? No, never!" I hit his chest.

        "Just checking," he shrugged.

        Hearing Harry walking down the hall, I began to whisper, "you can't tell anyone. I need to do this on my own. Promise me that."

        "Okay, I promise."