Leaving Rivendell

Footsteps entered the room Lessien was staying in and she sat up.

Today the Fellowship left on their mission but the whole thing had so many numbered problems to accompany it that Lessien was having a hard time hanging onto her sanity. Never before had she had so many issues with her companions during a mission.

She was not at all sure if she could bear being in Legolas's presence. He was far too irritating.

The dwarf, Gimli, seemed impolite and rude. However, Lessien was not quite sure if that was just how his mannerisms were or if he was yet another person who was against her accompanying them.

Boromir did not approve of her going on such a quest, as did her father, deep down inside. Lessien knew it. Nevertheless, she would go on the quest, just to prove them all wrong and to help. They didn't know but they would surely need it at one point. The mission was to be dangerous. What harm could an extra fighter cause?

A servant entered the room. "The Fellowship leaves in an hour," they announced. With the bluntness the servant delivered the message with, Lessien could tell whoever it was was irked with the chore they had been given. Did everyone in Rivendell now resent her?

After Lessien had dressed, without the aid of the insistent servants, she headed for the dining hall. There she found her fellow companions surrounding a table eating. The hobbits and dwarf were especially enjoying their meal, for they eagerly stuffed their faces with all they could.

"Ah! So she awakes!" Gimli the dwarf exclaimed with a mouth-full of food, pausing from his meal. As a result, crumbs from his breakfast snowed down on his beard. He spoke loudly and merrily, to Lessien's surprise. Perhaps he didn't dislike her. "I've only heard of you. I'll tell you this right now, lass, that I'm pleased with the extra company. I've been told you're a strong fighter."

Lessien glanced Aragorn's way, a barely noticeable smile creeping onto her face. Her father just bowed his head a little bit.

"Well, it's good to hear that one of you appreciates my presence," Lessien said boldly.

No one replied.

Lessien held her breath, trying to avoid a rash outburst.

Luckily, an unfamiliar old man wearing a grey cloak and pointy hat walked in. His presence made everyone perk up, even if just a little. This must be the wizard Gandalf the Grey.

"Well, well! Look who we have here! An odd assortment of strangers, some even with feuds between them. From hobbits of the Shire all of the way to a son of the steward of Gondor. We have characters from all around Middle Earth.

"And ah, I see. Our little forbidden warrior Lessien Tîwele, the strong-headed woman who insisted on following us. Look at that!" Gandalf chuckled merrily and raised his eyebrows knowingly at Legolas.

Lessien thought the term "little" and "strong-headed" made her look rash and weak. "I despise that description," she grumbled.

Gandalf heard but ignored her. "We will be leaving in a quarter of an hour, be ready," he announced.

Lessien pursed her lips and thought of Arwen. No doubt she would want to give her daughter a farewell.

That meant major avoidance on Lessien's side.

-

As Lessien walked out of Rivendell with the Nine, she pondered on Arwen and of Elrond and all she had seen so far. The worst was behind her, she lied to herself and continued to walk along behind the group.

So it was that day that the Fellowship and Lessien departed on a quest that would determine the fate of Middle Earth.