9. Carabella Has Whitewalls

At the top of the note was my question. Below it was Newt's answer: Because we are. That's why we were arguing at lunch.

Newt turned his head and smiled back at me. I pursed my lips and scrunched my eyebrows down. He chuckled.

Are you freaking serious?!f I folded the paper and was just about ready to pass it forward like I had before when Newt decided to stretch his arms back. I put the note in his black gloved hand and he stopped 'stretching'. About a second later, a new piece of paper landed on my desk. I unfolded it. Only one word was written in Newt's handwriting: Yes.

With all this note passing I was surprised that we hadn't gotten caught yet. Just so you know I'm grounded from my phone for a month so don't be surprised if I don't text you back within that time. I wrapped the note around my pencil and poked Newt's shoulder with it. He took the pencil from me and unwrapped the note.

The note passing continued until the end of class. To my surprise, Newt was held back last year for skipping his athletics period for the last three months of school. I had found out about his amazing ability to draw and he had discovered what had happened to my backpack the day before.

The bell rang and I started to pack up and get ready to leave for the next class. "Hey," I felt a hand rest on my shoulder and I looked up to see Newt standing over me, his black hair hanging over his face. I smiled. "Yeah?" He tugged on one of his gloves nervously. "Um, would you uh, want to come to a concert with me on Friday after school? Fall Out Boy will be playing." he said. The nervousness in his voice was almost cute. I could feel my face turning red. "I would love to." I couldn't believe that I was being asked out. I finished putting my notebook away and slung my backpack over my shoulder.

On Thursday I was so distracted by the thought of going to a concert for the first time that I accidentally made a shard of moonlight go flying and nearly knocked Sal over. 

"Sorry." I apologized. "Ember," Lyric said. "Is your mind on something else? You seem a little distracted today." I took a sudden interest in my converse. "Ember?" Sal asked. I looked up at my mentor. "Is somethin' wrong?" I chewed my lip. "Has Star been bothering you a lot lately?" Lyric asked. "No." I replied. In fact, Star hadn't bothered me much since Tuesday. "Well, ya seem a bit distracted today." Sal said.

"Try it again and expand it the right way." Sal walked over to where the spot of moonlight had settled and picked it up so that he could bring it over to me. I held my hands out to hold it.

I ended up completely messing up that spell because I was too excited for my date the next day.

When I got home I dropped my bag by the front door. "I'm home!" I shouted to the house. "Great!" Devin cried from his room, sarcastically. I rolled my eyes. "Where's Mom and Dad?" I asked while slipping off my shoes. "They're out at some farmer's market thing." he replied.

I climbed the stairs to my room and flopped on my bed. I pulled out my phone and found Newt's contact. Wyd? I sent the message and laughed at what he sent back. 

Newt: I'm flying on my pink sparkly potato.

 Me: Seriously tho, what are you doing?

Newt: I'm drawing a pretty picture.

Me: Can I see?

Newt: Sure.

I waited for a while until my phone sang to me. I picked up my phone and saw a piece of paper that had sticks that were connected with small circles. It sort of looked like the simplified skeleton of a teenager wearing headphones and leaning against a wall.