4. I Play with Fire

I looked from my little wicken creature to Lyric. "Do you have one?" I asked him. "Yeah. Every sorcerer does." he told me.

Lyric walked over to the giant circle and and placed his right hand on his heart and clenched his left hand into a fist placing the knuckle of his thumb against his forehead with his index finger and middle finger pointing up. 

"Revelei Frederick." After Lyric spoke the words of the spell, he moved his fist from his forehead, and pointed toward a spot in front of him with the two fingers he was already holding up. A small blue nub popped up from the ground and grew into a lump about the size of a basketball. To my surprise the lump developed creases and plates and unfurled into a scaly creature with a flat head, four thick, furry legs, and a tail that stretched about two and a half feet behind it. A coal black mane of fur grew on the back of the little creature's neck.

Lyric looked over at me and strolled over to where I was sitting. He pulled up a stool and sat down, his little blue creature following his example and sitting on the floor next to him. Lyric looked down at the blue thing and then up at me. "This," he stretched his hand down, indicating the animal. "is my wicken. When I first got him, I named him Frederick. That's why you heard his name when I did the summoning spell." 

I looked down at Frederick and he looked back up at me with big watery green eyes that seemed to glow slightly. He tipped his head to one side and opened his mouth smiling at me and panting, his dark blue tongue lolling out of his mouth. I braced myself for rancid breath, but was surprised to smell mint.

I thought for a second and looked down at my wicken, then back at Frederick. "How come Frederick looks so much different from my wicken?" I asked. "Well whenever you cast a spell, it changes your wicken. A sorcerer's emotions can also shape their wicken." Sal answered. "I've been teaching Lyric for a while now and he has a different style than I do and probably different from you too so his wicken looks very different from mine and yours." 

"I mainly specialize in ice and water sorcery so that's why Frederick looks all blue and stuff." Lyric told me. I looked over at Sal. "What does yours look like?" I asked the man. He smiled at me. "Glad you asked miss." Sal said getting up and walking to the spell circle. 

Sal conducted the spell the same way that Lyric did, only when he said the name he said, "Stella." When the spell was over, a steam punk, monkey-like creature stood as tall as Sal's waist. It loped over to us, the gears and pulley systems in its legs working whenever it moved. "This is Stella, my wicken." Sal said. "Since I specialize in mechanical sorcery, this is what she looks like." Stella hobbled over to Lyric-who was still sitting on his stool-and hugged him. "Nice to see you too, Stella." he smiled and hugged her back. 

Lyric looked up at me. "So are you going to decide the gender and name of your wicken?" he asked. I thought for a moment and then decided on a name. "I think I'll call her Jijing." Lyric and Sal looked confused. "In Chinese it means 'lucky crystal'." I explained. 

"Well," Lyric said. "We should be heading back to your place so that your parents don't get suspicious." He walked over to the spell circle and Frederick followed him. Lyric put his arms straight out with his hands open, palms facing his wicken. "Clokei Frederick." he said. Frederick disappeared the same way that he had originally appeared, melting into the floor. 

Lyric walked over to me. "It would be a good idea to use the cloak spell on Jeejin too." he said. I frowned at him. "It's Jijing." I looked down at my wicken and saw a small change take place: two little bumps pushed out near the bottom of the little blob and it changed its color to a dark crimson red. 

I looked at Sal for an explanation. He smiled and said, "You just witnessed the first change in your wicken."

I smiled to myself and got up to go over to the circle. I let the little red blob float out in front of me and I put my arms straight out and put my palms up so that they faced my wicken. "Clokei Jijing." I commanded. Jijing disappeared in a swirl of scarlet wind and embers.