The Challenge

The howls slowed, and low growls began to emanate around the circle. I looked towards the opposite side of the field past Eric and recognized the feeling immediately. Danger. Eric's fur was standing on his back, and his bristles shook with dominance. 

Out of the darkness of the trees, the eyes first and then the shapes. Three wolves approached with their lips pulled back as a clear challenge. I saw Cristian's massive dark form in the center and my heart stopped. Everything that I'd been feeling and hiding was released and released upon Eric. He turned to me, snarled, and then back to Cristian, and growled loudly. The sound resonated through the trees, and over half of the pack flinched, and tucked tail at the sound. Cristian and the two wolves flanking him stood straight and tall with pointed tails. Cristian snarled and snapped in Erics direction as he let out his own growl, that equally made the pack quiver.

In an instance they were running towards each other, and planning to strike. Eric to defend his position, and Cristian to take it away. The pack wolves growled and snapped at the air as the two smashed into each other in the center of the field, and fought for dominance. Cristians teeth ripped through Eric's back and they rolled, biting at each other with bloody results. The pack wolves looked on, some in crouched positions ready to attack, and others tucking tail, wanting no part in the alpha's battle.

A light gray wolf lunged forward to defend his Alpha and double team Cristian, but the wolf that was with Cristian intercepted his strike, and a battle ensued between the two. Three other wolves raced towards to the third wolf, to eliminate his help, but I couldn't allow the unfair fight.

My feet were moving under me, and I realized my body was compelling me to defend him. I ran towards them and in my peripheral I could see Amarogs grayish black wolf battling Gabriel's light gray form. I jumped knocking one of the three wolves over, and snarled. She jumped to her feet, and I knew it was Eric's mother from the eyes that glowered at me.

She lunged forward, and I snapped missing her throat by only a centimeter, as she retaliated with a bite to my back. I yelped as she was knocked down by my mother's small coffee colored form. She and Lucas were in front of me, and Isabelle was stepping back. She ran towards the two wolves she was initially with and Lucas ran after her. I whimpered as the pain ripped through my shoulder and I dropped to my side. Cristians head snapped to me, and while distracted, Eric lunged forward and knocked him down.

My mother nudged me, urging me to get up as she whimpered at my whimpers. I stood slowly as my body slowly healed and turned to Cristian. He and Eric forcefully lunged and snapped at each other as their teeth connected with different body parts. Neither was giving in, but Eric's alliance had quickly faltered and stood helplessly watching the battle. It was a fight for dominance and no one was to intervene.

Amarog held Mr. Gadreal at bay as Lucas and the unknown wolf stood in front of Mrs. Gadreal and Marcus Walker. Cristians alliance was the two unknown wolves that loyally watched on pacing in front of the others to protect his position.

All eyes were on the two, Cristian and Eric, as they snarled and lunged and ripped at each other to be the victor. My heart pounded furiously in my chest and I fought the urge to run towards them. To protect Cristian and ensure his win. To ensure that he would take place as Alpha.

I stepped forward. My paw digging into the dirt as my mother paced in front of me. She knew my intentions and snarled at me to stop. When I fought her command, she moved closer and blocked my view of the scene as she threatened me with her growls and forced me back. 

A loud thud and then a low yelp, and my heart stopped. I feared Cristian had been hurt, and I jumped away from my mother's view. I didn't know how to respond, whether to run to the one I loved or the one I was drawn to.

Eric's black wolf lay slumped in front of the tree, as Cristian stood a few feet away. Eric attempted to lift his body but fell back to the ground. He stood, pulled his ears back, licked his muzzle, and humbled himself by lowering his tail to a halfway point. He didn't want to go on, and relinquished his position as Alpha. As he had ascended, he descended, and ran into the woods. Cristians ears remained erect and forward, as his fur bristled. He offered the others the chance to challenge him, but we lowered our ears, and tails in varying degrees, and submitted. Erics mother and the wolf beside her raced off into the woods, as Gabriel followed. Around the opening several other wolves ran off into the woods as well, stating their loyalty to the Gadreal family, or the Montana Hill People that Isabelle was originally a part of. Either way, they were gone, and Cristian did what he said he would. Challenge the Alpha and win. 

Almost simultaneously the howls began, five seconds of song here, five seconds of song there. All around the circle they came together with varying yelps and screams into the air and accepted their new Alpha.

He lifted his head, kept his ears forward and stiffened his tail. For a moment he paraded around with only the slightest baring of his gums and tongue until his legs weakened, and he fell to the ground. He'd proved his dominance, and there were no challengers.

I ran to him, shifted, and dropped at his side. I placed his head in my lap and rubbed his fur as he slowly and unconsciously changed. I felt the snapping of his bones, the warmth of his overheated and red skin, and the shedding of his fur as it fell to the ground and disappeared into the grass. His blood ran down his neck and onto his chest, and I feared Eric had done irreparable damage.

"I told you I would win." He hadn't opened his eyes yet, and I could see the pain of his shift on his face but I kissed him anyway. "You promised me you wouldn't be here, you almost got me killed." His laugh came out as a pained cough and I wanted to punch him for even joking about that.

I kissed him again. "I saved you," I replied, "had I not shown up you wouldn't have had a reason to show off."

He laughed with another cough and grabbed his ribs. They were broken, but he was not. "Let's claim what's ours."

We stood at the same time and he pulled me close to his side before releasing me and addressing the pack. He stood up straight, stiffening his back as he ignored the pain and pushed on. One by one the wolves dropped their heads in a bow and acknowledged submitted to him. Loud howls rang once again throughout the woods, and it was over.

The others began to leave, some shifting into human form to stroll through the woods in only their nakedness, while others raced away playfully on all fours. Cristian and I walked hand in hand quietly for awhile, enjoying the distant sounds of the celebratory howls and echoing laughter.

"I guess you really do have Alpha blood," I teased.

"I told you I was taking back what was suppose to be mine..." he shrugged, "And that included you."