Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

I entered a few seconds behind her.

Josh and Daemon were shooting hoops, Dave was turning on the charm with a couple of juniors and an unmistakeable crowd of girls were already surrounding Jesse.

Right! He'll come crawling back to me.

I smiled at the the unlikelihood of that happening.

* * *

Finally, Coach did something right in his entire career of teaching me during gym class.

He placed Jesse as far away from as possible.

He was the captain of the opposing team while Daemon was the captain for ours.

And the game was . . . dodgeball, the game of war and sweat on the gym floor.

Jesse's team was on the offense while ours was on defense.

As soon as that was announced, I saw Jesse look pointedly at me, with a dark smile.

And there goes my chance of being the queen of dodgeball!

As soon as the game started it became apparent that their strategy was me. Getting me out as soon as possible. I was meat surrounded by ravenous lions.

Daemon darted over and caught two balls in one, instantly eliminating two members of his team out of the ten.

I smiled at him gratefully.

Now the attention of the eight remaining members were on Daemon.

Jesse stood in the back and watched before he took his time eliminating the rest of our team.

Jenny, Daemon and I remained after five minutes, with Jesse's team having only him and one other person, Dave.

Then Jenny was eliminated by Jesse who just shrugged off her complaints.

Daemon caught Dave's ball two seconds before Jesse hit him in the chest with his.

Which left me and Jesse. Alone!

He smirked evilly.

"Well, well, well. If it ain't the ex," the sarcasm dripped as he said ex.

"Shut up and throw the ball, jerktard!" I snapped, already tired of this whole revenge of his.

"Now wouldn't that stop all the fun." He smirked.

"Just throw the ball already asshole!" I heard Daemon yell without chancing a look at him.

Jesse frowned. "And there he goes again, interfering where he's not wanted."

"You're being childish, Archer. Now hurry up so I don't have to stare at you a second longer," I said as I glared at him.

"I'm not being childish! You're the one being childish!" He snapped. "Running off to Damieboo because of a little kiss!"

I glared at him. "Moron!" I said, not thinking of anything better to say. "I hate you!"

He stared blankly at me. "Me too!"

A second late the ball hits me hard on my right shoulder.

Not wanting to show any weakness, I disguise the cringe as a sneer at him, before walking past him and out of the gym just as the bell rang for next period.

* * *

As soon as I got home I stumbled onto my bed with an icepack for my shoulder and some pain relief pills.

Who knew the asshole actually had the balls to throw a fire ball at a girl?

He was really pissed. And all because of a stupid kiss?

Was he that offended that there was a girl out there that didn't want to be kissed by him?

The drugs pulled me under seconds later.

The sound of the doorbell being mercilessly rung woke me up. The stars greeted me from outside my window as darkness enveloped my room.

I got up and tried to move my shoulder, eliciting a groan.

The bell rang again, again with an impatient rhythm.

A piece if paper fell onto the floor as I got up.

I picked it up.

Mom's messy scrawl greeted me.

Gone out to dinner with the Archers.

The twins will be over at eight for movie night.

Love,

Mom.

The twins?

Shit!

As if to reming me the events o the day, a pain shot through my shoulder.