Stars written by Kathleen Ryburg.

His mouth felt dry. Kathleen Ryburg. He knew that name. She was once his girlfriend, long time ago. He vaguely remembered her. What he did remember about this particular girlfriend was that she loved to read and she had secret pieces of her own written stories hidden in between her university notebooks. She was the one who made him see the beauty in words, how powerful they were and how entertaining they were when they were put together and formed a story. Quite intriguing. He didn't remember anything else but countless nights staring at the starry sky with her. He also remembered dumping her. He wasn't quite sure why he dumped her but he guessed it was because he lost interest in her. This relationship was from his university days which was seven years ago, something he didn't deem important to remember.

He opened the book and read.

For Arlando Cassa, my first love. This is what our journey felt like to me.

He shut the book instantly, his heart racing and the cogwheels in his brain turning after he read the dedication. She wrote this book for him. But why? And why did he only noticed this book after seven years? And how did it end up in his attic?

He held onto the book and dusted himself off the floor. Heading down to his room, he snuggled up in bed and reopened the book. Maybe he would understand her motive of writing this book after he read through it. So once he was settled, he opened the book and flipped over the dedication page. And then he read into the night, her words drawing him in.

.*.*.

PRELUDE

The first time I saw you was the first time I saw the stars.  

Your name was Arlando Cassa and you waltzed into my life, quite literally if I may add, wearing a big grin over your enticing lips and you wooed me in with your charming and captivating words.

It was a dizzy evening. Everything was simply out of control as you ushered me to the dancefloor and gracefully led me through the breezy night. "I never approved of this tradition of my friend's. He always wanted strangers to get to know each other," you said, your warm hand firm on my waist as you led me through the dancefloor and through the mass of entangled, jovial bodies. "He always thought a dance was the solution."

"I sense a 'but'," I added, my red tinted lips curving up into a heartfelt smile. My head was tilted forward, my blonde hair falling over my blue eyes. Your lips stretched out, its edges lifting up and showing a peak of your white, shining teeth. You found me funny.

"But I, strangely, am I agreeing with him for the first time," you said. Your eyes were twinkling and I couldn't help the smile that overtook my lips. I bit my bottom lip trying to hold in the smile but the smile seemed too powerful to control.

"Hmm," I replied, the link between our hands growing stronger. "Why's that?"

"Because," you said. Your other hand trailed down my arm, your head tipped forward and your breath teased my ear and neck. I arched my body towards yours, your gestures drawing me in with the alluring, invisible strings.

I found a new sense of confidence burst within my chest and I teased you back by trailing my fingers up your chest, making my actions deliberate and slow. I splayed my fingers across your chest, my hand laid directly above your heart. I could feel your heartbeat, it's erratic beating under palm made my very own heartbeat double in pace.

My other hand joined the one that laid on your chest and they continued the work they started. They travelled up your chest and disappeared into the soft curls of your black hair. With a simple tug, your face was close to mine, your lips mere inches away from my very own red-stained ones.

"Dancing is boring," I whispered, my minty breath making your eyes close and let loose a chuckle that made my heart do a double take when I felt your chest rumble against mine.

"How about we get out of here?" you suggested, your rough hands pulling my waist closer towards your body. The heat from your hands seeped through the material of my smooth, silky dress, reaching my skin and it burned like a blazing pleasurable desire.

"And watch the stars?" I added, the knots in my body now completely unwound and I was practically melting into your firm arms that supported my petite body by gliding me across the dancefloor.

"I'll show you the stars," you whispered, your delicate words playing at the tips on my skin and making my body reel with pleasure.

The last time I saw you was the last time I saw the stars.

.*.*. 

Welcome to the first chapter of Stars! I know it wasn't quite entertaining yet but I assure the heat in the story picks up (definitely in the third chapter). I hope this chapter didn't bore you. First chapters are so hard to write so I really hope you liked this. 

Also, this book is basically a book within a book. Hopefully that doesn't confuse you. If you liked the chapter be sure to drop a vote and/or comment. I'd really appreciate it! 

Next update: 3rd September