Chapter 20

Tobin's POV;

Tobin's heartbeat was going so incredibly fast it felt as if it would explode in her chest any second. This was easily one of the hardest things she's ever done and at the time it felt like the worst decision she's ever made, but in the long run she knew that this is what needed to be done to secure not only her happiness but also Alex's.

"Hey kiddo, are you alright?" Katie asks her, and Tobin looks up to meet her sister's gaze.

"Not really no" Tobin cries, rubbing at her eyes with her sleeve.

She clutched onto her jacket that Alex brought and the faint scent of the striker still lingered on it, causing her to cry even harder. Their whole conversation Tobin tried to keep herself from locking her eyes with Alex's, because she knew the second she looked into those ocean eyes she would give in to whatever Alex wanted her to.

"Why aren't you going after her you idiot?" Katie asks, smacking Tobin's shoulder abruptly.

"I can't, it won't work Katie you just don't understand. We can't be together anymore, there's just too much craziness involved" Tobin explains.

Katie examines her curiously for a minute before she begins talking, "The Tobin I know has always loved craziness"

"Not this kind of craziness" Tobin tells her as she shakes her head.

"Go after her Tobin," Katie pleads, sitting down beside Tobin against the door. "You'll regret it forever if you let her walk away"

Tobin knew this was true, but she was incredibly torn between what she wants and what she needs. She wants Alex more than anything, but she needs to move on before this gets any worse than it already is. Is that really what she needs though? Or is she telling herself that? Tobin has always been one to make impulsive decisions and they either ended up incredibly bad or incredibly well. She was about to find out how this one would end up.

"Okay" Tobin nods, climbing to her feet and ripping the large wooden door open.

Once she gets outside she searches for the younger girl in the dark, but can't see her or anyone anywhere.

"Come on Lex, where did you go?" Tobin whispers as she turns her head back and forth.

But instead of looking she closes her eyes to listen for any faint sound of footsteps or rattling she can pick up. Then she thinks she can hear something so she follows the sound. It becomes slightly louder and this reassures her she's going in the right direction. Tobin couldn't help but laugh to herself in utter confusion over what's happening right now. She never genuinely thought that the younger girl would come all the way to New Jersey just to make things right, and Tobin is mad at herself for turning the striker away, again. The midfielder had no idea how fast she was running but she knew it had to be pretty fast because her heart beat was incredibly rapid. She stops suddenly to take a breath and calls for the striker.

"Alex!" She yells, resting her hands on her knees.

She gets no response and continues to run, she hears the footsteps distinctly after about 10 minutes and knows whoever the person was, must be close. She pulls out her phone flashlight and waves it around hoping it will reveal something. It does.

"Alex!" Tobin cries, and the figure a few yards infront of her stops and turns around.

She darts to the younger girl and tackles her to the ground.

"Look how the roles have reversed" Tobin laughs, climbing off Alex.

Alex stands up and looks at Tobin with an expression of pure shock and confusion.