Chapter Fourteen - Please Tell Me I'm Dreaming

Chapter Fourteen - "Please Tell Me I'm Dreaming"

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

The rest of the drive to Paradise Coffee is pretty awkward and quiet, and I can feel my skin start to crawl as we get closer to our destination. The heat is getting to me and I feel like I can't get enough oxygen.

Too many memories are flashing in and out of my mind as I continue to sit in the leather seats that may as well have my ass printed onto them.

Get me the hell out of here.

Travis pulled into the shopping center where Paradise is and parked, and as soon as he unlocked the doors I sprang out of the car. I sucked in a cold, deep breath of fresh air and closed my eyes for a couple seconds, clearing my mind temporarily.

"Couldn't wait to get out of the car?" I heard Travis say. I turned to look at him and he had a smirk on his lips. I just gave him a smug smile back.

We walked up to the door as he opened it for me, letting me in first.

"See? Manners," he remarked with a gloating tone.

"Hm," I hummed, looking around the place.

It's not too crowded surprisingly for a Saturday afternoon. So I went straight up to the counter and ordered a hot chocolate, since I literally just had coffee about an hour ago and I don't want to be bouncing off the walls when Travis is around me.

He ordered his fancy drink, then we walked to the area to sit down. We picked a table for two against the windows and I took a seat, crossing my legs and staring down at my drink in my hands.

I have no idea what to say since he is the one who asked me here, and he isn't saying anything either. To say this is the worst coffee outing I've been on would be an understatement.

Travis took in a deep breath and looked up at me, pursing his lips. Almost like he's in deep thought. I just stared back, trying to seem unfazed by his crystal gaze.

"So I need your help with something," he finally spoke up, his voice low.

"You said that," I retorted, and he rolled his eyes.

"It's something that's... really personal, and I'm asking you as a nice guy. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything like that. I'm genuinely asking you for some help," he said sincerely.

I don't want to believe any of it. Who knows if this is all a scheme or something?

But there's something about his voice wavering towards the end in the slightest bit that makes me believe him.

I sighed in annoyance. "You really think I want to help you? I dislike you, Travis. You know that," I crossed my arms, leaning back in my chair and narrowing my eyes at him.

He sighed heavily. "I know you do. But... you're the only person I can come to for this. I can't go to my friends and there's just no one else there for me. You're someone that I can talk to about this without having to worry about hearing a lie. I know you'll tell me the truth and I know you won't bullshit anything," he nodded his head along, looking down at the table.

I know he's right. As much as it sucks to admit that. But he has a good point.

I pursed my lips and kept staring at him. Thanks, Dad. Thanks for passing on your good-guy genes to me. If it weren't for that, I probably would have just slammed the front door in Travis' face as soon as I saw him.

"I'm listening," I finally said in a bored tone, glancing away from him.

He sighed again. "Well, you know, 'cause we have something that like, I can't say I have with anybody else," he said awkwardly. "Even though you hate me and I annoy the shit out of you, we still have something."