Chapter 4 - First Impressions

Hiccup had to hold back a gasp as they approached the Kingdom of Dunbroch. The castle seemed to have grown from the rock that held it there and the forests that surrounded it weren't unlike the ones he was used to in Berk, but he was used to endless seas of pine trees. Here great oaks and beech trees grew in abundance as well as the familiar ferns he was accustomed to. The sea was clear and crisp, the air sharp and alive on his skin. He already loved it here.

The young man and the chief were greeted by servants of the castle who showed them to where their dragons would be staying. They left Skullcrusher and Toothless for the time being while they were shown to their rooms in the castle before the presentation of the suitors. Everywhere they walked he found great tapestries and drapes hanging from the walls, swords and bows mounted to wooden frames. He even ran into a stuffed bear for some reason.

When they finally reached their rooms Hiccup noticed that he was just down the corridor from the princess herself; he thought he might have imagined it but he swore he saw a flash of red hair for a second. Shrugging, he went inside and began to unpack the minimal possessions he'd brought.

He dressed respectably for the feast that evening, draping a dark green cloak trimmed with wolf skin about his shoulders, fastened with finely embossed metal pins. He decided against wearing his horned helmet, knowing the history between the Scots and the Vikings and instead tried to tame his messy hair, failing miserably, though he did decide to fasten a leather belt about his waist. The unusual leather armour he always wore was still attached to his wiry frame.

His father clapped him on the back.

"Ready son?"

Hiccup nodded. Together they made their way to the Great Hall and waited behind the doors with the other suitors, ignoring the stares and the mutters of "Vikings" that followed them. The great oak doors opened and bagpipes played them in, the young man keeping his head down, not wanting to look up at the throne where the princess sat. When he got to the foot of the dais though it was no use. He looked up.

He had to double take for a second.

The princess was beautiful, of that there was no doubt. Though it was a beauty not everyone could see; as her skin was littered with freckles and her hair fell in curls it was easy to pass her off as messy or unkempt. Today though, parts of it were plaited back so the majority of her hair still fell about her shoulders but it was in a calmer, more dignified way. Her dress didn't hide her curves at all, in fact it literally made them pop. Hiccup kept his breathing steady as her gaze found his. Her eyes were round, vibrant and the brightest blue he'd ever seen. She made Astrid look like just another villager back on Berk, which, he reminded himself stubbornly, she was now.

He didn't realise he was staring until his father gave him a shove and he snapped out of trance to look up at the queen who was addressing everyone in the hall.

"As you all know, the games to compete for the princess's hand are beginning tomorrow. There will be opportunities to prove your worth in feats of strength and arms, but you must remember that you cannot win her by your fighting alone. You must also capture her heart if you are to be chosen as her new husband." She smiled at the nervous young men gathered at the foot of the dais. "Our guests from overseas will be joining us tomorrow evening if the weather is good, but for now, let us feast!"

The tables were laden with intricate dishes and platters full of the finest food in Scotland and when the royals took their place at the table the feast began. Hiccup was almost directly opposite the princess which didn't help matters for him; he tried to concentrate on his food but found he could only nibble at a bread roll and a small piece of beef. The princess however was eating heartily, but when she saw his nervous attitude she spoke.

"What's it like?"

Hiccup nearly choked on the minimal amount of food he was chewing.

"Pardon?"

"Riding dragons. What's it like?" Her eyes were wide with wonder and he was slightly taken aback by the abruptness of the question.

"I can't really describe it," he shrugged. "I guess when I started flying properly I didn't really feel anything as such, I just felt -"

"Free."

Hiccup's head snapped up to find the princess was smiling at him. Something in him broke.

"Yeah, that's exactly it." He looked down at his plate and then back at her, dazed. "How did you know?"

"It's what I get every time I go shooting and riding with Angus." When she saw his confused and slightly concerned expression she grinned. "Angus is my horse. What I mean is though, there's never any distraction, it's just me and him and the rest of the kingdom. But that all stopped," she sighed, "when the dragons started attacking." Hiccup nodded.

"I was going to see if I could help with that." He took a swig of mead which he'd managed to water down suitably; he really wasn't big on the alcohol. "I heard about the attacks. What exactly has been happening?"

"It started with the livestock," she recalled, "they attacked and though we tried to fight them off they'd always be back, like they were on a mission or something. They wouldn't stop until they'd collected some cows or sheep, or even chickens. They always left with something."

"Sounds like a Red Death scenario again," Hiccup sighed. When the princess looked confused he elaborated. "Back at my village we had the same problem. Our livestock, mainly sheep, were taken in constant raids that didn't ever seem to stop. When I befriended Toothless, my dragon, he led me to the Nest, where all the dragons who had been attacking us had lived. It turned out they were controlled by a much more powerful dragon, whose will they couldn't refuse. Like the Queen Bee in a hive. They were the workers, if you get what I'm saying."

She nodded and he continued. "Well, my dad found out about Toothless and used him to find the island, so me and a bunch of other kids found the dragons they used for training back at the Dragon Academy and rode to meet them because we were the only ones who knew about the Red Death. We fought it and I managed to free Toothless and we actually blew it up from the inside. But it caused such a huge fire we couldn't get out in time; Toothless saved most of me though."

He lifted his prosthetic with a toothy grin but she could only sit and watch in amazement.

"You did all that," she said in a hushed voice, "you sacrificed everything, just to save your village?"

"Well when you put it like that," Hiccup scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, "you make me sound much better than I actually was. It was all Toothless, really."

"Did you bring him with you?"

"Yeah, but we can't see him now."

"Why?"

"People might get ideas," he smiled nervously, "I don't want your parents to get a bad impression of me." She chuckled.

"Tomorrow then? Before the overseas guests turn up?"

"I promise."

Merida smiled widely and Hiccup's knees went slightly weak.