“Skye, please, we just wanted you to be happy,” mum murmurs, her eyes tearing up.

               “Did the two of you know this?” dad demands, turning on Connor and Summer.

               “Kind of. Skye came to us, bawling, when she made the discovery. We comforted her,” Summer admits.

               “Mum, what about the presents? And HC? Is that someone from my past? Could it be a biological family member of mine?” I ask, my hopes getting high again.

Again mum and dad share a look, a look full of discomfort.

               “Well...we got you when you were a little baby. And we raised you like our own. On your first birthday, the first present lay on the doorstep. I was afraid. I knew whoever this HC person was, they were from your past. The person could even be your biological parent...I just...I was afraid,” mum whispers, a single tear rolling down her cheek.

               “You could have just told me, you know? I love you guys. You’re my only family,” I promise quietly.

Mum shoots me a watery smile and nods her head. “I’m sorry, honey! I should have told you...but I thought you would like those presents better and want to leave us to live with whoever it is. I couldn’t bear the thought of losing you,” she explains.

               “Is that all mum? There’s nothing more?” I probe.

She and dad share a look before dad clears his throat.

               “Baby girl...you know how we told you about being the guardians of a secret, right?” he asks gently.

               “Yeah. The Enmortals secrets, right? What about it?” I ask, not quite following his train of thought.

               “Well...each of the cards were sealed with a special emblem, an Enmortal emblem,” he explains after a moment.

               “You mean...I’m getting presents from an Enmortal? Why?” I wonder out loud.

               “We don’t know why. That was another reason we wanted to hide the presents from you,” mum cuts in, still looking worried.

I nod my head a couple of times, trying to reassure my parents. I can see Connor and Summer exchanging looks from my peripheral vision. It’s really weird! I know.

               “Can I see the presents though?” I ask tentatively.

Mum nods her head and heads to her room.

Moments later she re-emerges, carrying some of the presents. She sets them on the coffee table and hurries off for the rest of the presents.

I kneel down by the table and pick up the smallest box again, the one from my first birthday. I open the box with shaking fingers.

Nestled in the box, amongst the soft cloth is a silver, embellished rattle. Engraved into the handle is ‘Happy First Birthday Skylar’.

I set the silver rattle back into its box and pick up the next box from my second birthday. And the presents continue, insanely pricey present after present.

My eight birthday present is a huge Barbie doll house. I remember wishing for it but knowing I would never get it. It was just too expensive. A small, sad smile appears on my lips as I admire the doll house. Summer and I would have had so much fun playing with this one.