Broken: Chapter Twenty-Three.

***Kiara's Pov

After that little blast from the past with Lauren, I've been getting verbally abused since. I try not to think of it a lot but it's hard when I'm in school Monday through Friday. Michelle doesn't seem to say anything to me, she actually got up and moved. I remember that it was her and another girl that was with Lauren while she was teasing me. I just don't know where the other girl may be.

Kelly has been trying to cheer me up but I'm not in the mood for him at all. Why should I be? Especially since he still walks up and down the hallways with her but when I bring him the twins or vice versa, he's talking against her. That's probably how he use to do me when we were together. I wouldn't doubt it.

The only thing that kept all the drama off my mind was getting ready for the twins first Christmas with mom and Derrick. I'm so happy that we can all spend our Christmas together as one. I've already started Christmas shopping with Reese and she's bought so much stuff for them that's it getting hard to hide. Atleast Christmas is almost here.

While we've been on Christmas break, I've been working my butt off. I've worked every possible day I could, late nights and early mornings. The last time I went to work, the manager was there and I know I messed up quite a bit that night. He would watch me so close and his beedy black eyes would always catch me off guard. Off guard to where I was dropping everything. There were pink slips left, that's what the chef says, I just hope it's not for me.

Becca and I were cleaning off tables and talking to one another.
Becca: You think we're safe?
Me: I really hope so. I need this job so bad.
Becca: Me too girl! This money gets the bills paid.
Me: And gets my twins a good Christmas.
Becca: I heard we are first to go if they have to fire people.
Me: Oh really?
Becca: Yeah, since we are only labeled as waitresses. Regardless if we do it all or not.
We finished up the tables and went back into the kitchen with dirty dishes that we had to wash. The chef went on and opened the envelope with our rating.

Chef: Everyone listen up! Our rating's went down again..
Everyone let out an outburst of confusion and disappointment.
Chef: Calm down! He says the only way to get our ratings back up is to let go of the people on the pink slips.
Everyone grew quiet as she pulled out five slips from the envelope. Five! She put her head down as she began to read the names.
Chef: Well.. I guess I'll be leaving.
The looks on everyone's faces were devastating. Ms.Deb had been here since Chester's opened. Why would they get rid of her.
Chef: Twenty-two years down the drain. This is all I know!
She went on to read everyone else.
Chef: Maxwell, Kiara, Becca, and Robert.. I'm sorry but we have to go guys.
Me: What?! What did I do wrong?
Chef: There's not even an explanation. We just have to go.
I was so mad.. I stormed out of the kitchen and out of the restaurant! You just can't fire someone without an explanation. I have to find out why!

The next day, I woke up and decided that I needed to call the manager and see why he decided on making such a terrible decision. He answered on the fifth ring.
Manager: Serg Mack , the manager of Chester's speaking.
Me: Yes, this is Kiara Parker one of the waitresses that got fired yesterday. I was wondering why you made that decision because I wasn't given an explanation to why I was let go?
Serg: Miss Parker, I'm the boss. I do not have to give any explanations to why I've let you go.
Me: Yes, you do! It has to be some kind of reason.
Serg: You just weren't doing your job to your full expectation. Dropping plates and food.. It's unacceptable.
Me: It's hard to concentrate when you're there breathing down everyone's neck!
Serg: So disrespectful. I'm glad I got rid of you. Good day.
He hung up the phone on me after giving me such a useless reason. I decided to go down stairs and tell everyone the news. Only mom, Reese and the twins were downstairs. Derrick is at the hospital and they're releasing him today.
Me: I got fired last night.
Mom: How come?
Me: Some lame excuse. I wasn't performing at the level of expectancy. That's what he said atleast.
Reese: Aw, sis.. It's okay!
Mom: It is! We've got you and the twins.
I was thankful for that. These last few months, I've been feeling down. I've been trying not to let it get to me but when I feel like I'm not in control of my own life, it gets stressful. The fact that I can't control how things go, hurts. It's getting worse but I'm trying to stay strong and stay out of the hospital before Christmas.
Me: I really wanted to get the rest of my Christmas stuff but.. My check will be poo this week.
I started to cry.
Mom: Kiara, please don't stress over this. You've got the twins enough stuff for Christmas. They'll be more than excited to have it. Calm down sweetie.
She hugged me but that didn't stop me from crying.