New Plans

The ride to Rivendell went by swiftly and was uneventful. Surprisingly, I managed to avoid any serious trouble and found Rivendell easily. Well, actually that is a lie. It took me longer than I thought it would to find the secret entrance, but thanks to a book of lore, I finally located it. Carefully, I walked along the cold stone walls leading my horse behind me until it opened up to reveal Rivendell. It was...breathtaking. So much color and serene noise. I instantly felt calmer and knew I was safe here. I tied my horse to a tree, still out of sight and walked cautiously.

Locating the entrance, I spotted a guard. Not wanting to be taken as a trespasser, I climbed underneath the bridge leading to the entrance and stayed out of sight. I just wanted to find a wise elf who could help me, but that guard didn't look very friendly.

When I neared the other side, I quietly climbed up onto the bridge and hid behind a statue. I was just about to peek around the side when I felt a hand touch my shoulder. I jerked away in surprise and turned around. It was the elvish guard! He had a spear in one hand and the other was up against his mouth, stifling...uh, laughter?

The guard seemed to get it under control and spoke, "Who are you and what are you doing here?" He asked seriously.

I swallowed, "I...um, look...I know this seems bad, but I promise I just wanted to speak with someone who could help me. My name's Sam and I'm from Sador, a small village east of the Gladden Fields." I raised my hands in the air, in surrender.

The guard smiled in amusement, "Why were you hiding?"

"Well, I didn't want you to think I was a trespasser, but now I see that it probably only encouraged that idea...uh...sorry." I apologized sheepishly.

He laughed, "Well I must say, you are definitely not suited for being secretive. I knew you were there the whole time and I can see your horse. You must not be familiar with elven senses."

My eyes widened, "You...uh...no. I'm not."

"Well we basically have really keen sight. Plus, it wasn't that hard to spot you." He pointed out. "If you would come with me, I will show you to someone who can hopefully help you." the guard led me into the elven sanctuary. I was so overwhelmed by all the beauty that the guard had to several times stop me from running into things or going the wrong way. Everything was just so perfect. The very smoothness of the walls seemed eerily elegant and graceful.

The guard brought me to a large oak door and motioned for him to stop. He stepped forward and knocked. An answer echoed through the door, allowing us to enter. When I was just inside, the guard closed the door, leaving me alone.

"Come forward." A voice instructed. My head turned, searching for the owner of the voice. I walked deeper into the room. It was very spacious and the only furniture were several bookshelves, a desk and chair, and a couple of sofas. I located the elf who was sitting on one of the sofas, reading. He looked...well...ageless. Dark, raven colored hair cascaded down his regal shoulders. I felt severely under dressed in his presence with his traveling clothes compared to his fine woven silks.

The elf looked up from a book and seemed surprised. "Please, sit." He motioned elegantly towards a nearby chair. I stiffly sat down, awkwardly fiddling with my fingers. "So, what is your name?" The elf asked kindly.

"It's...Sam." I answered.

The elf nodded, "Welcome, Sam, to Rivendell. My name is Lord Elrond."

"Uh...hi." I greeted.

"What can I help you with?" Elrond offered.

"Well, I need some advice..."

"I will do my best to assist you then." He smiled, "Please explain."

I collected my thoughts and began to tell my tale. Beginning from the time I was given the stone right up until I arrived at Rivendell. I left out the conversation with the guard, not thinking it really mattered anyway. Elrond nodded slowly when he was finished and stood up. He walked over to a bookshelf and searched the various titles. He finally pulled out a book and brought it over.

"I think I can help you." He concluded. "May I see the stone?"

"Sure." I brought it out of my coat pocket and offered it to him.

Elrond shook his head, "No, I do not wish to touch it. Just allow me to observe it." I pulled back slightly, palm open. He studied it intently for several minutes before leaning back in his chair. "Thank you." He added. "Now, Sam, I have come to a conclusion for your problem. It will not be easy, but hearing all that you have been through, I am positive you can accomplish it. There are only two ways for you to be rid of it. One, you must give it to someone else, giving them the burden..."

I grimaced, "And two?" I interrupted.

"There is a way to destroy it." Elrond continued. "But, a sacrifice must be made. Someone must give up their life willingly for the stone to be destroyed."

I was stunned, "Wait...someone must die?"

Elrond nodded, "Yes, I am afraid that is the only way. Also, they can not just die anyway, it must be with a special poison that was also used to create the stone. They need to hold the stone and stab themselves with the poison on a blade for the stone to fade with them." he explained, "I am sorry."

I nodded slowly, "What poison is it?"

"The poison comes from the Salehta plant." Lord Elrond answered gravely.

"And...where can I find that plant?" I asked.

"Well, we have some here. It is also used in healing mild ailments such as warts." He explained. "I can give you some if you promise to do nothing rash."

"Uh...yes sir." I answered, still trying to comprehend what was happening.

Before long, I was headed home on my horse with a small bottle of the poison from the Salehta plant, ready rid myself of the stone. No matter the costs.

So sorry to give you an evil cliff hanger! Haha, the climax is coming everyone!!! Be ready! Also, please comment, vote, or follow if you liked this chapter!!!:-}

Did you guys notice the secret little thing I hid in this chapter? Comment if you did! Otherwise, check at the bottom of the author's note for it to be revealed!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

OH...and I might not be able to update for a couple of weeks because my classes are starting and I will be really busy....thanks so much and please bear with me! I am not giving up on this story!!!

LOTS OF LOVE,

Ithildaeforever

Here it is! Salehta:-} Get it yet??? Spell it backwards....):-} NOW do you get it?? Athelas! The elvish healing plant! Salehta is Athelas spelled backwards! See? It's like the opposite of Athelas! It has been used for more evil than good...haha...it was a really random thing, but I hope you liked that little tidbit there!:-} OkAy ThEn...bye bye!