A New Journey

The next morning, I woke up bright and early to start on the huge load of work That waited for me. As I dressed, I remembered the strange stone that was still in my pocket. After pulling it out, I stared at it curiously. It was several different shades of green that swirled together. It was cool to touch and felt extremely smooth under my hand. As I held it, a strange sensation came over me. For a split second, I felt angry. I suddenly wanted to lash out at someone for no reason at all! Then, the feeling was gone.

I shook my head and left the stone on my desk. That was strange! Quietly, I walked out the front door and closed it behind me. My mother and sister were still asleep since the sun had not risen yet. I was the only one that needed to be awake early. I was the man of the family. My father had died when my sister and I were quite young from bandits that had robbed him and then killed him.

Swiftly, I went in and out of the barn as I fed and took care of the animals. We had one ornery goat, a couple of chickens, one cow, and one horse that was part mule. It was a large job to care for them all, but Shara usually fed the chickens for me. As I worked, my thoughts drifted to the odd stone. The man had seemed very swift to hand it out to me. He seemed to want to get rid of it! And his words were even stranger! It was my responsibility. What did that mean?

Just then, Shara ran out of the house and snapped me out of my thoughts. The door slammed while she darted over to where I was standing.

"Sam! Sam! Look!" As she ran up, she reached out her hand and opened it. Clutched within her sweaty palm was the stone and it was glowing! The different greens had brightened and now cast a greenish shadow across our faces in the dim light.

"What...what did you do?" I looked at it in confusion.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed her frown when I accused her of causing it. "I didn't do anything!" she defended. "I was just getting your extra pair of boots from your room when I noticed it glowing on your desk!"

I took the stone from her hand and turned it around, looking at it. Once again, the strange sensation came over me. I suddenly felt the urge to say something, "Shara, this is all your fault! If you hadn't wanted to go on that stupid journey in the first place, then we never would have met that old man or gotten this stupid stone!" I yelled at her.

She looked taken back to hear me talking like that, "What? Sam...I didn't mean-"

"Yes you did! I don't care what you say this is all your fault!" I interrupted her. Suddenly, the angry feelings and sensations disappeared.

"I'm sorry, Sam." she said. Tears started to drip down her face.

"I...I...Shara, I don't know what came over me." I couldn't believe what I had just said. "I'm so sorry."

"Oh, so now you want to apologize! Yet not five seconds ago you were ready to kill me it seemed like!" She answered getting mad.

"I shouldn't have acted like that. It wasn't your fault. None of this has been your fault."

"Humph. Oh really?" She quickly wiped away the tears from her face. "I'm going inside. Have fun with your rock."

"Wait, Shara! Don't go! We need to talk." I lifted up my hand and gently grasped her arm.

She turned back to me and looked into my eyes, "Okay fine. What do we need to talk about." She seemed like she was ready to forgive me but I wasn't sure.

"I have no idea what to do with this stone." I held it up so we could observe it.

"Well it obviously isn't an ordinary stone. Maybe it's magical."

"Probably." I agreed. "But it has been making me feel weird. I have been having strange sensations of feeling anger. I feel like it's causing me to want to be angry. It's really strange."

"That is weird. Maybe it doesn't like you." she joked.

"Sure, that's it. We have solved the problem. Yay!" I added sarcastically.

We stood there for a moment just watching the stone. It still glowed but had dulled slightly since Shara had brought it out. Finally, I realized what I needed to do, "Shara, I think I need to bring it to the old wise man that lives in the forest. He might know what it is or what to do."

"Sam, you can't go! We need you here!" She protested.

"No, Shara. I think that is the best thing to do." I had already decided that I would go when Shara kept arguing, trying to convince me otherwise.

"But Sam, it's dangerous! There are bandits in that forest! And evil creatures!"

"I will be fine. I know how to fight, remember?" I started walking back to the barn to prepare the horse.

"Just think about it! It's a terrible idea!" Shara hurried to catch up to me.

I stopped and turned to face her. "Shara, I am going whether you like it or not. The matter is closed." I hoped that would get her to stop nagging me, but it didn't work.

"What are you going to tell Mother?"

Oh boy. She had me there. I couldn't tell Mother my true intent of the trip, but if I didn't tell her, how would she let me go? "I'll think of something." I answered not giving up.

I hurried back inside after packing up the horse with Shara following behind closely. I was pretty sure that she was curious to see what I would tell our mother, but honestly, I still had no clue what I would say.

As the door opened and Mother looked our way, Shara nudged as if to say, Now is your time to shine!

I cleared my throat, "Um...hi Mom."

"Hello, Sam." She seemed tired. Even after a full night's sleep, there were still bags under her eyes. "What do you need, dear?" She lowered the towel that she was using to dry dishes.

"I...need to go on a journey." I gulped.
It was now or never.

"A journey? Whatever for? You just got back."

"I know, but we need..." I paused trying to think of an excuse. "uh...a new saddle!"

"A new saddle? Why? Isn't the one we have good enough?" She seemed confused.

"No actually, it is really old and about to tear at the seams so I was going to take it and sell it. Then, I was going to look for a better one, but I need to go to the next town because there aren't any merchants that sell saddles for a good price here." I crossed my fingers behind my back hoping she would believe me.

"Well...okay then. How long do you think you will be gone?" She went back to drying the dishes as she waited for me to answer.

"I do not know, truthfully. It could be several days or it could be more. I will try to be swift." Honestly, I wasn't lying to my mother because I was going to eventually buy a saddle, that was just not the full purpose of my journey.

"Sam, just promise me that you will be careful. Okay?" In her eyes I noticed something that I had only seen a couple of times. Fear. She was truly worried for my safety. I think she may have guessed that I wasn't telling her the whole truth, but she didn't ask.

Softly, I answered, "I promise." Swiftly, I hugged my mother and walked to the door. My sister was standing there looking quite peeved.

She whispered in my ear, "Sam, you better be extra careful. Mother needs you." Then, she gave me a quick hug and stepped aside allowing me to pass.

When I rode away from our village, the sun had just begun to rise.

The story continues! I hope you enjoyed it! Please vote, comment, or follow! If you enjoyed it, I would love if you spread the word! Thanks guys!!!!!

~*~Ithildaeforever~*~