Chapter 30~Her

The silence was broken as hard rain started to pelt us.

Hailey jumped up, holding her arms above her head. "Shoot."

Alex had told me he was going to stay in a hotel, refusing to drive home with me. Now I had to stay here for the night.

"Is there a hotel nearby?" I raised my voice.

I saw her nod and gesture for me to follow her. I did at a run, and it took only a few blocks to bring us to a hotel.

We were soaked by the time we ended up in the lobby.

Hailey's hair fell in a limp, dark shade. It dripped water onto the ground.

I pulled a Credit Card out of my pocket, walking over to the receptionist and paying for a one-night stay.

Hailey stood by the door, her arms crossed in a shivering way. I wonder if she lived far from there. She'd have a long walk back.

The receptionist handed me my card back along with a room card.

I stuck it in my pocket, ambling over to her.

Her teeth chattered, but she forced her mouth shut when I reached her.

"You look cold." I frowned.

Hailey shook her head.

"Do you live far from here?"

"Ten minute drive." She managed to say.

I bit my lip. I couldn't let her walk back in the rain.

I sighed. "Why won't you come up to my room to dry off? Until it stops raining."

Her blue eyes studied me, probably deciding if she should or not.

She parted her lips. "Until it stops raining. Then I'll leave."

I nodded, and set off toward the elevator. It was an awkward silence as the elevator brought us up to the designated floor, finally beeping and opening.

It was a terrible feeling knowing that we had once been insperable, and now I didn't even know what to say to her.

I found my room, sliding the key and walking in. The room was fairly large-about the same size of my room in Venice.

It had a balcony, one King-size bed with crisp white sheets, a bathroom to the right, and a living room to the left. A black flat screen hung on the wall, facing the bed.

Hailey walked in behind me, closing the door.

I checked the bathroom, noting the fresh white towels. "You can take a shower first."

"Shower?" She repeated.

I spun around. "Yeah."

"That's okay. I don't have any other clothes with me, so I'll just dry up."

I nodded, watching her grab a towel and bring it to her scalp.

After a few more moments of awkward silence, she finally sighed loudly and looked at me. "This isn't us."

"What?"

"These silences." She explained. "It's not us."

I bit my lip.

She stepped closer. "You didn't answer when I told you I love you."

I stared at her beauty. "I'm trying to protect myself from more pain."

"Pain?"

"I don't think you understand how you left me." I shook my head.

It was quiet. "I'm so sorry." She whispered.

"I loved you." I managed to say. Past tense.

Hailey closed her eyes.

"But the way you left.."

"I know." She finished. "I know what I did."

My stomach lurched, bits and feelings feeling like they were being stirred up. Something was happening, and I couldn't place my finger on it.

After a few breaths, I realized it was forgiveness. And..love. Pure love.

I stared at her, and the next moment happened in a blur. One second I was standing in front of her, hands clenched with a blank emotion.

The next, she was in my arms. Her mouth moved in sync with mine, hungrily.

I pushed her against the wall, my arms around her waist. One hand of hers tangled itself in my hair, the other found it's way to the back of my neck.

Something erupted vigorously in the pit of my stomach, climbing it's way to the center of my chest.

I twisted her around and she climbed backward onto the bed.

My lips stayed on hers until I straddled my legs onto her and reached down to kiss her jawbone first, then neck.

My heartbeat bounced in my ears.

I pulled away, inches from her face, and whispered, "I love you."

A soft smile plastered her face as she pulled me closer to her. I tugged at her shirt, and she nodded at me.

~~~~~~~~~~

The rain didn't stop. It continued to pelt away at the windows, and just like it looked like it was about to clear, a pang of thunder violated the sky and more bursts of rain fell.

Hailey's head was rested on my chest. Her hair was still damp.

"Well," I started, looking out the windows, "It looks like you can't leave."

"Mm," she murmured, "Too bad."

I softly smiled.

"You're different."

I kissed her temple softly. "Yeah?"

"Yeah. It's something about the way you carry yourself now..I saw it yesterday. When you walked to your car."

"You were watching me?" I asked, a smile in my voice.

"How could I not." She murmured, nudging me with her head.

Rain continued to pelt the windows.

Her breathing became shallow and slow.

"I love you, my Hailey." I whispered.