Chapter 12~Unmistaken promises

"Ready?" I strode into my living room and looked at Hailey glancing through a book she had picked out of my library.

She looked up. "Where are we going?"

"Out to lunch." I smiled, walking toward her and leaning into her lips for a light kiss. It was like electricity, and pleasure shot through me every time our lips met in an embrace. I didn't know if she felt it too, probably not, but I knew I felt it.

Hailey drew back, breaking the kiss. "Out? To lunch?"

I sat on the chairs arm, playing with a piece of her hair. "Thought you could use a day in my world."

She swallowed, glancing at the floor than into my eyes. "Sounds fun, Elliot."

I stood, and held out a hand to her. "Damion has the car waiting outside."

-----------

I pulled out Hailey's chair, and she paused noticeably before sitting tentatively. I knew how Hailey felt about other's doing chores for her, so I guessed she was slightly uncomfortable. Though I didn't catch onto it until after.

I had picked a rather fancy location. It wasn't on Venice Beach, but a little north from there. Hailey had told me she lived around here, and I'd only guessed she's been here with her family once before. I mean, who hasn't?

I unrolled my cloth napkin, and laid it on my lap. Hailey's gaze was set on me, as she mirrored me nonchalantly.

A waitress around her thirties came to the head of our table, and handed us menus. "Hi, my name is Blair and I'll be your server this afternoon. Can I start you off with some drinks?"

I respectfully looked to Hailey, and she blinked with parted lips. "Um. Would it be possible to have just a water?"

The waitress's eyes furrowed, but she recollected quickly. "Sure, hon. And you?"

"I'll have the same."

She nodded, and spun on her heel to retreat from our table.

Hailey glanced around us, watching others and looking as if she was studying their movements.

"Hail?" I asked, which pulled her out of her haze. "Are you okay?"

She smiled, dimples appearing and her face immediately becoming ten times prettier. If that was even possible. "Yeah. What are you getting?"

I scanned the menu, my tongue sticking out of my mouth. "The lemon seared chicken maybe? What about you?"

I watched her look for it, and her eyes widen as her finger traced over the price. She flipped back to the appetizer page, and pressed her lips when she found something. "Artichoke dip?"

"That's really small."

"It's fine." She said with a smile, and tucked her hair behind her ear.

Moments later, the waitress came back and started to take our orders.

Hailey's lips parted as she began to place her order, "I'll have the art-"

"-lemon seared chicken." I inturrutped. I knew she was hungry; her stomach was growling loudly in the car, like it always was. "And I'll have the same."

"Elliot." She said once Blaire whisked away. "I was fine with the artichoke dip."

"And I, being the observant person I am, ordered what you really wanted." I said with a smirk. A smirk. Something that never would've possibly found it's way to my face weeks ago.

She stuck her tongue out at me.

------------

During the meal, I noticed too late that she was constantly watching my hands or surrounding tables. I wasn't sure why; her table manners were fine, great actually, but she seemed extremely uncomfortable for some reason.