Chapter 7~Best money ever spent.

The sun was just starting to set, casting a red glow on the beach outside my house. My father was out, doing business I presume was for down town Las Angelas.

Knocking banged against the door, followed by the sound of Damion's footsteps behind me against the tile floors.

I stuck my hands in my suit jacket pocket, and looked out at the edge of our property than the beach.

"Elliot?" Damion asked, so I turned around to meet his eyes. Next to him, surprisingly, was Hailey.

She grinned. "Ready?"

Damion politely walked away from our conversation, leaving us alone in the kitchen.

"For what?" I questioned.

"Bonfire. At the beach."

"Isn't that with complete strangers?"

Hailey nodded. "Some of them. But that's the experience."

"Aren't they all druggies, or something?"

She made a face, than started to laugh. "I'd never think I would hear you say, 'druggies.' And no, so let's just go."

I nodded, straightening my tie and motioning for her to step first.

[***]

"There it is." She pointed, and I almost stopped. A large, sparkling bonfire was positioned on the sand with dancing kids encircling it to the beat of the latest rap.

We'd been walking for over fifteen minutes on the sandy beach; my dress shoes would sink in with every step and the grains would leak into my shoes.

We were almost there, my heart beating rapidly with nerves when Hailey suddenly paused and turned to me.

Without another second to waste, she reach up on to her toes and ran a hand through my neatly combed hair. My stomach jumped.

She stepped back, observing her work. "Perfect."

She smiled, motioning with her head to the party ahead.

I finally decided that if I could jump off cliffs, than I could socialize with kids my age.

"Is that Hailey?" One of them shrieked, jumping up and around the fire to embrace her in a hug.

The girl stepped back, grinning and putting a hand on her hip. "I haven't seen you in forever. How's-"

Suddenly the girl stopped talking, and half-nodded to Hailey who gave her a look.

Hailey looked at me. "This is Elliot," and she lightly poked the girl in the shoulder, "Be nice."

"I always am." The nameless girl laughed.

"I'm Jesse. It's nice to meet you." She said, without holding out a hand.

This had felt so strange; introducing myself to someone who didn't properly bestow a handshake was definitely something different.

But as I looked at Hailey, her wild blonde hair and blue eyes illuminated from the fire's reflection against her skin, I realized at that moment that different was good.

"Nice to meet you." I told Jessse, meeting her eyes.

Jesse smiled, tucking her brown hair behind her ear and skipping back around the fire. I watched her squeal, and jump into the lap of some guy who grinned and kissed her.

"She seems nice." I managed, looking at Hailey.

But she didn't get to reply, before another guy from the water suddenly came from behind her and wrapped his arms around her shoulders.