Chapter 5: A Fever

"We saw your magic," Ren stated calmly. "You are a Dragon Slayer, aren't you?"

Laura's eyes widened and her spoon clattered noisily to the floor. She stared at Ren mutely.

"Laura?" Killen prodded her gently. "You okay?"

The eighteen-year-old did not answer him as her hands clenched themselves into tight fists. She swallowed, still maintaining eye contact with Ren. "What will you do if I am one?" she whispered darkly.

"N-Nothing..." Ren faltered, caught off guard by the intensity of her stare. He looked away from her.

"Exactly...that's exactly what I want you to do," Laura said. Without another word, she got up and walked out of the kitchen, heading for the bedroom.

Once the door closed behind her, Killen leaned forward in his seat. "What's gotten into her?"

Ren shook his head forcefully as if he was shaking himself. "Her stare..." he rasped.

"What about it?" Gale asked sharply.

Ren smoothed his face with his hand. "It was so haunted...like a dark abyss."

Killen's eyes narrowed at this. "What are you talking about, Ren?"

The twenty-year-old mage grabbed his water glass and took a big gulp, feeling slightly better as the water ran down his suddenly dry throat. "I don't know...but for one moment, I felt like I was paralyzed or something," Ren answered hesitantly. "My whole body was unable to move."

"It must be from her magic," Killen said.

Gale remained silent.

'A death glare' suddenly took on a whole different level, in Laura's case...must be literal...

Ren pushed his chair backwards and got up. "It's getting late; I've got to get going now."

"Man, Laura would be a good addition to our guild..." Killen added absently. "Her stare would definitely come in handy in battle."

No one answered. Gale got up as well. "I'll just check on her before that."

"Ah, that reminds me!" Ren spoke up just as he reached out for the doorknob. He turned and flicked a card in Gale's direction. The other mage caught it expertly in between two fingers and twirled it.

"What's this for?" the nineteen-year-old asked him.

"Give that to her while you are it," Ren answered as the two of them left the room.

"Wait...why should I - "Gale paused when he realised that they had already left the room.

"Man, this really bites!" he sighed grumpily and started for the bedroom.

"Laura?" Gale called her name out as he knocked softly on the bedroom door. "Laura, are you in there?"

He waited for a few moments. Still, there was no answer from the other side. Feeling slightly anxious, he opened the door, slightly and peered inside. There, she was; lying on the bed in a fetal position, sleeping soundly. Unconsciously, he smiled. Leaving the card that Ren gave on the bedside table, he carefully placed the blanket over her.

"That was fast..." he said, amused. "Must have been a long day for ya'."

Then, his smile faded when he heard something. The mage's eyes narrowed as he stared at the sleeping girl. Something was wrong. Laura's breaths came out too heavy and difficult. He touched her forehead. It was really hot.

"Damn, you're burnin' up, girl!" he exclaimed. Without thinking, he picked her up in his arms easily and marched out, heading for the front desk.

"Where's the nearest clinic?" the man demanded. "This girl is having one heck of a fever!"

The innkeeper shook her head regretfully and pointed towards the window. "I'm afraid there is no clinic here for miles. Furthermore, there's going to be a snowstorm tonight. It'll be best not to be wondering at this hour." Then, she motioned Gale to a back room. "Let her rest there. Try to cool her down while I'll prepare some herbs for her fever."

Immediately, the mage set to work. Gently, he set the girl onto the futon and covered her with a thick blanket. Swiftly, he prepared some crushed ice. He took out his handkerchief and wrapped the ice tightly in it. Then he dabbed it on her forehead which was damp with perspiration. "Hang in there, Laura," he murmured as he gently brushed away the stray hairs from her face.

Suddenly, the eighteen-year-old's face twisted into a pained expression and she started to tremble violently.

"I don't want to go back there..." she mumbled as her tears fell in small rivulets down her cheeks. "I'm not his follower...Acheron...I will never..."

Gale touched her shoulder and almost immediately, her eyes flew open as her hand seized his in a vice grip.

"Laura?" he tried again.

"G-Gale...?" she rasped hoarsely, her grip loosening when she recognized him.

Then, she stood up, wobbling perilously on her feet. "He's coming for me..."

"Who is?" Gale demanded exasperatedly.

"I have to get out of here..." she hissed as she looked around frantically.

Unable to control his irritation, the boy got to his feet and went over to her. He grabbed her shoulders and shook her roughly. "Laura, come to your senses!"

The girl suddenly grew limp in his arms as she moaned weakly. He carried her back to the futon. The ice had already long since melted. He put the cold handkerchief on her forehead. The moment he was about to stand up to replace the ice, the girl reached out and took hold of his hand. Looking up at him with vulnerable lavender and gray colored eyes, she whimpered and shook her head. "Don't leave me alone please..." she begged. "I don't want to be left alone."

Just then, the innkeeper entered the room, holding a cup. She knelt down beside the girl as Gale helped her to sit up.

"Drink this, my dear," the older woman told her. "It'll help with the fever."

Laura glanced over at Gale for confirmation and he nodded at her. She thanked the innkeeper and took the cup from her.

"Rest here for the night and you'll feel better in the morning," she advised the younger girl after Laura had consumed the bitter liquid.

Once she had left, the eighteen-year-old looked at the mage. "Please don't leave me here alone..."

"You heard what the woman said, Laura. Go to sleep," was all the nineteen-year-old said stiffly.

"Please...." The Slayer regarded him with one long look before the draught took effect. Her whole body grew heavy as her vision swam in and out of focus. The last thing she saw before the darkness reached out for her, was Gale's face.

Please don't leave me alone here...

Gale...