Chapter 2: The Meet

It had been a few years now from the time when she had ran away from Acheron. He must definitely be out looking for her. The thought of incurring her father's wrath made her shudder in dread and fear.

"What did ya' want again, lady?" the bartender demanded in a gravelly voice, polishing the tall glass that was in his hand.

Tugging her cloak closer to shadow her face in the inner darkness of it, she squirmed agitatedly in her seat, trying to think of something.

"Um...would there be a menu of some kind, perhaps?" she asked him, timidly.

He snorted and whacked the bar top with his huge fist. "There ain't menus here, sweetheart. You must be in the wrong place for this. Fancy a beer?"

Just then, someone took a seat beside her.

"Beer," the voice ordered.

"Aye mate," the bartender responded and turned his back to the girl. The voice was distinctly male. Laura angled her head slightly to get a glimpse of the stranger, trying not to be obvious. Unfortunately for her, he happened to notice her watching him. The spiky black turned to her and she got a full view of his face.

"Somethin' on my face?" he asked brusquely.

Laura quickly looked away, without answering. She could sense vast magic in this man. She knew that he was a tough mage. The eighteen-year-old heard him made a rude sound before he faced forward.

The bartender placed a big mug filled with the liquid before him and he downed the half its contents in a few seconds.

"Made up yer' mind yet?" he asked her, wiping his hands with a dish rag.

She shook her head hastily and the older man left. Laura took a deep breath and turned to the stranger beside her. "I'm sorry..." she began.

The guy almost choked on his drink as he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. "What are you sorry for?" he asked her incredulously.

She played with her finger nervously, unsure how to phrase her question. "What does it taste like?" the girl managed finally.

There was silence after her question as she waited keenly for his answer. Her eyes narrowed when he burst out laughing.

"Did I say something droll?" she asked him.

The nineteen-year-old guy nodded his head. "Never met someone who doesn't know what beer taste like and comes waltzing into a bar without any idea." He thrust the now half empty mug at her. Warily, she leaned forward to take a sniff. Her face scrunched up in revulsion. It had a sharp smell that made her eyes water.

"Might be a little too strong for you...maybe you could try a fruit cocktail instead?" he suggested, still amused.

"Is that beer too?" she demanded promptly.

The man shook his head."No, but it does have a touch of alcohol to it. Do you want to give it a shot?"

Laura nodded slowly. Apparently, he must have discerned her disinclination. "Don't worry, you won't get drunk," he reassured her.

"Okay..." she finally gave in.

The stranger ordered one for her and it came soon enough. Laura studied the glass that held a strange crimson colored liquid and smelt it. The stranger was right. Indeed there was a delicate, almost imperceptible scent of alcohol as compared to beer. She took a cautious sip. It was thickly saccharine and tasted of fruits, just like the name implied.

"Good?" the stranger asked her.

Laura smiled slightly at him, but suddenly realised that he could not see her face because of her cloak so she nodded in response.