ii

"Well Summer, how was is?" I get asked when I opened the door to my mums car and slide into the leather seat. I nod my head, putting my seatbelt around my chest, clicking it into place. "We mostly sang songs." I say, looking out the front screen window, the window wipers going as it is currently spilling rain outside.

"That's good." my mum begins to drive off, away from the centre. As we were driving out of the parking lot, she speaks up again. "Did anyone remember you?"

"Yeah," I look at my mum as she looks at me for a slight second, her eyes looking back out the front screen window as she pulls out onto the main road. "A girl named Mary. I don't remember her though. She asked did I remember her but I didn't get to answer her question because Mr. Hatewell started talking to me." I say, sighing slightly at the end, wanting to go home and finish reading the book I am currently reading.

The rest of the way home, my mum yaps about me going back to the centre. She wants me to go back three times a week at least. Why can't she just let me be and read. Not go to this stupid centre when I won't be able to remember them by the next time I go there. I sit back in my seat, my head resting against the head rest, folding my arms across my chest. "Are you even listening to me Summer?"

"Yes I am." I mumble, closing my eyes. "Well, what did I just say as you 'were listening'?" I could feel her roll her eyes at me.

I stay where I was, mumbling my answer, "That you want me to go back to the centre at least three times a week."

She keeps quiet in her seat. She pulls into the driveway in front of our house. I smile at her as she knows she was wrong and unbuckle my seatbelt, exiting the car and making my way to the front porch. I knock slightly on the door as mum has the keys and she's taking her time getting out of the car. Plus, I forgot to bring mine.

No one answered and I knocked again, getting impatient. I was about to knock again after I came back to stand outside the front door as I was knocking and looking through the big window in the front of the house. "Your dad just texted me saying that he had to go to work as it was an emergency." she reads from her phone screen, closing the door of her car. I slump against the stoned wall, playing with the hem of me t-shirt that was hanging from underneath my jacket as it was unzipped.

"Summer- oh wait, hello?" he says into the phone. I puff out a breath, wanting to go inside out of this cold weather. Even though I am currently wearing joggers, I still am cold.

"Okay, bye, I love you." was the last thing my mum said before walking over to me and handing me a load of change. I stick out my hand to receive it, knitting my eyebrows in confusion. "What's this for-"

She cut me off, handing me my phone she kept for me in her handbag as I was in the hospital for my needles today. "I have to go and do some errands for your father," she mumbles to me, fishing around in her handbag for something.

"And what am I doing with this?" I shove my hand full of change in her face, counting it in my head. "I want you to do some messages for me." she licks her lips, typing on her phone.

I groan at her words, slumping back against the wall, shoving the change she gave me in my jacket pocket. "I want you to go to the shop down the road," she rambles on.

"What shop?" I ask, not knowing where it is. She turns me so I'm facing the direction she was standing in and points straight ahead. "You go down that road then turn left. Then there's a busy road but you go down that small alley, it's the easiest was there, and turn right, then right again there is a run down petrol station there. It's bright red so you'll see it when you turn the last corner." I nod my head at her directions, soaking it all in.