smart boys

warning: flirty fluff
(*^_^*)
it's short but there are longer ones coming up v soon don't you worry.

word count: 664

DAN'S POV

I was a sophomore at Stainsbury High School in Manchester. I didn't know a lot of people there but I also wasn't new. I just didn't want to interact with the idiot students that went there. I sat alone at lunch and asked my teachers not to put me in groups for learning or activities because of social anxiety. All of them apart from one agreed without hesitation. Then there was Mr. Nixon, my history teacher.
He told me that learning the material would be easier if I had at least one person to work with. I reluctantly agreed. Nixon said my partner also had social anxiety so we should work pretty well together depending on our stress levels. I sighed, somewhat relieved. I knew the people in my classroom, but I didn't know who I would be working with yet.

I walked into the room the day after winter holiday ended. (I talked to my teachers at the beginning of the year, it was second semester so our schedules and class order had changed.) I sat in the back corner by the window, where I usually sit. It was foggy and slightly dark outside. I sighed. This was my favorite type of weather. I could focus without the annoying sunlight blinding me. I noticed someone sit down next to me but I didn't pay attention until they said something to me.

"Dan?"

I slowly turned me head to the right to see a senior, Philip, I think his name was, sitting next to me. I nodded and slightly smiled, politely. "Dan... Howell?" He asked, probably making sure that was my name. I nodded again.

"I'm Phil Lester," he said. "It's nice to meet you." I sorta- kinda smiled again.

"Pleased to meet your accquaintance," I said sarcastically. He giggled, and I must admit, it was a cute laugh. The bell rang, signaling that the passing period was over and class would be starting.

"Philip," Mr. Nixon said. "remind me of what the Protestant Reformation was, please."

Phil nodded and spoke without hesitation, "The Protestant Reformation was a movement to reform the Catholic church."

Nixon continued, "Where was it launched and by whom?"

Phil answered, "It was launched in Germany by Martin Luther."

"Very good, mister Lester," Nixon nodded. Phil was a very smart boy. Intelligence was a huge turn- on for me. Not sexually, I just thought it made someone insanely attractive and just well balanced altogether.
He didn't even seem to flinch or pause, he answered like he'd known what the Protestant Reformation was his whole life. That was impressive to me.

"Howell," Nixon boomed, disrupting me from my thinking.

"Yes, sir?"

"What was Pontiac's Uprising?"

It took a second, but I said, "A campaign waged by Ottawa Chief Pontiac to drive the British out of Ohio Country."

"Who crushed it, and how?"

"Uh, the British distributed fleece blankets infected with smallpox, I believe,"

"Correct, well done, sir." affirmed Nixon.

I sighed, relieved that I did something right for once.

"Thank you," I murmured under my breath.

Phil turned to me and mumbled, "Nice,"

I nodded and once again said, "Thanks,"

"I like smart boys," he smirked.

My heartbeat sped up a but. Was he bisexual....gay? I looked at him and raised my eyebrow slightly. I was bisexual but I'm not sure he knew that. For the rest of class we took notes on colonization and tested eachother on vocabulary terms. While this was happening, what he said still replayed in the back of my mind.

History was my last class of the day so when the bell rang I gathered my things and headed for the door. Everyone had exited very quickly and Nixon went to the conference room so Phil and I were the only ones left behind.

Before I left, I turned around to look at him and said, "I like cute boys." I winked and then left the room.