Chapter 40: Fire Versus Lightning

Start from the beginning

I heard Liz explode in a cacophony of cheers, Shikamaru probably just found the backbone to stand up and face Temari. I leaned on my hands and stared down the stairs, imagining that Sasuke's figure would appear around the corner at any given moment.

"What is the Uchiha guy to you?" came a sad sounding voice behind me.

I looked behind me to see Gaara, looking down at me, he leaned on the stair railing to my side.

"Well?" he urged.

"He's... my teammate," I answered at last.

Gaara looked at me doubtfully, "Then why do you care so much for him?" he queried.

"I'm supposed to care for my teammates and allies," I argued.

He crouched down beside me so that our faces were level, "But you seem to... go out of your way to care for him, something that I noticed you do not do for some of your other teammates," he looked at Liz and Naruto.

"That's not true! I care for them! And how would you know? Do you watch me all the time or something?" I cried frustratedly.

He blushed and realized that he probably didn't spend all of his time training, "Oh... okay," I bit my lip awkwardly.

"Your answer was not satisfactory," he said in a low voice.

I gave in, "I really don't know... I... I used to know someone who... who Sasuke is very... similar to and that person held... an important place... in my heart," I blushed.

Gaara looked at me... wistfully?

"Is that so..." was all he voiced.

Suddenly, Liz and Naruto erupted in a simultaneous cheer, "Yeah, Shikamaru! Go!" they screamed.

Naruto looked a little dizzy to me and I decided to go over and see what was happening, "Excuse me," I said apologetically to Gaara and joined Liz.

"He's winning! He's winning!" she cried proudly.

"He is quite clever, he just doesn't show it all the time," I mused.

Liz went back to screaming, "Yeah! You can do it, Shikamaru!"

Shikamaru had Temari trapped in his Shadow Copy Jutsu and he began to raise his hand, forcing Temari to do the same.

"That's it, I give up," Shikamaru shrugged.

"WHAT?!" Liz roared furiously.

"Calm down, Liz, he probably has his reasons," I comforted.

She blew air out of her nose loudly, outraged, she began to grumble darkly and cracked her knuckles menacingly.

"What?" Temari said, confused.

"I give up," he repeated simply, "The continuous use of the Shadow Copy Jutsu has used up all of my chakra. I can barely bind you for ten more seconds. I had thought up about two hundred more moves but it looks like I'm out of time. I'm getting tired of this, one match is enough for me," he shrugged.

"Winner, Temari!" the examiner announced.

"Why did he give up? Is he an idiot?! This pisses me off, I'm gonna go give him a lecture!" Naruto claimed and jumped down into the arena.

I looked at Liz, "If Sasuke doesn't come... it's the two of us," I murmured, "Are you ready?" I asked.

"I was born ready, Vira, this battle will be epic," she smiled at me.

I returned the smile but I didn't know if I really meant it or not.

Then I heard Naruto begin to shout at Shikamaru, "Idiot!"