17.

Cold-Hearted

"WHO ARE you texting?"

   Florence looked up from her phone for a second to face Elena and Bonnie, who were standing in the kitchen. Caroline was standing right behind her and Florence wondered whether she'd seen the many texts Damon had sent her. She bit her lip, glancing back at it to reveal another text from the one man Bonnie had warned her against speaking to.

DAMON: Stop listening to Bonnie and talk to me, Bambi.

   The thing about Florence was that, when one would warn her about something that could be fatal to her health, she seldom listened. That was one of the reasons why she had been pining over Jeremy for so long—one of the reasons why her undead heart was no longer beating for him.

   "No one," she muttered, turning her phone off.

   "So, Florence," Caroline started, her voice loud enough so that the girls in the kitchen could hear as well. She hummed. "You're over Jeremy right? Like, completely over him? Because I'm pretty sure you aren't. You know, some kids were talking and they said that Jer—"

   "I'm over it, Care," she snapped.

   "Okaaaaay," she dragged out, raising her eyebrows. As she was sifting through Bonnie's bag, Florence went back to her phone, trying to decide if she wanted to text Damon back. That is, until Caroline pulled out an all too familiar pendent. The bubbly blonde scoffed. "Why are you such a little liar, Bonnie?"

   Bonnie made a face. "What?"

   "Caroline!" Elena reprimanded.

   Their faces morphed into ones of confusion once they saw the pendent and Florence frowned. How could it have come back after Bonnie threw it away? And how in the world did they not notice it before? Caroline marched over towards the kitchen and gently placed it onto the counter, Florence following after her.

   "I'm not lying to you, Care," Bonnie assured.

   Elena nodded. "It's true. Flore and I saw her throw it into a field."

   Caroline shrugged, still not believing their story. "Well, then explain it!"

   Florence scoffed. "There's not much to explain, Care," she said pointedly. "Anyways, it was probably Emily, if that's the lead we're following now."

   "Who's Emily? —and stop talking like a police officer, Florence!" Caroline exclaimed.

   Bonnie bit her lip. "The ghost."

   Caroline rolled her eyes, not believing a single word that came out of the three's mouths. "Oh, so the ghost has a name now? Stop bullshitting me, guys!"

   Elena held up a hand, which made Florence raise an eyebrow. "Caroline, please."

   "I wonder why she won't leave me alone," Bonnie said, lowering her voice slightly.