12.

Trick or Treat

"HOW CAN I walk in the sun like you?" asked Florence, her knees to her chest

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

"HOW CAN I walk in the sun like you?" asked Florence, her knees to her chest.

It was nighttime, which meant she didn't have to worry about bursting in flames, but it was still something she had to remain cautious of.

Katherine tapped on the stone hanging from her neck.

"Lapis Lazuli."

Florence raised an eyebrow and turned her head, revealing her earrings to the older vampire. Katherine rolled her eyes when the blonde replied, "I'm wearing lapis lazuli earrings. Where's my ability to walk in the sun?"

She watched as the girl fumbled through her jacket pocket and pulled out a belly button ring. She then proceeded to toss it over to Florence, who was looking at her with gratitude. The doppelganger watched, intrigued, as she put it on, her hands shaking with excitement. What occurred to her, in that moment, was how nonchalant Florence was about the whole vampire thing.

"You're a smart one, Florence Allen," she repeated her words from the day before. "However, I'm smarter. Don't you think your friends are gonna be the least bit suspicious if you don't show up to that Halloween party?"

Her eyes widened. "Shit, that's today?"

When all Katherine gave her was a nod, she quickly stood up and rushed to her closet, rummaging through old clothes. The Pierce just leaned back in her seat and watched as she panicked, her emotions all over the place.

Then, something clicked.

She took a dress out from her closet and turned around with a sigh. "I'm assuming my urgency is a side effect."

"Bingo."

She groaned, burying her face in her hands. Her head hurt, but that was besides the fact that she was a vampire. It still hadn't settled in her mind, and the half-a-millennium old vampire wasn't doing much to help. Still, she knew that going back to her normal life-with the occasional blood sucking here and there-was her only option.

When she tugged her shirt off, Katherine whistled. "Couldn't wait until I left the room?"

Florence just rolled her eyes and wiggled out of her jeans, leaving her in only her undergarments. She took the dress that was now resting on her bed and slid into it, her vampire speed coming in handy when she struggled with the sleeves.

A week before her vampirism, Caroline had convinced her to put together a bee costume. And now that she had actually witnessed herself in it firsthand, she realized just how stupid it was.

The dress was a simple yellow one with black stripes, but what really had her embarrassed were the wings. It seemed like something out of a cheap puppet show, but what else could she expect from Halloween? Before she put on the wings, she fumbled to pull the zipper of the dress up and groaned, realizing she would have to ask the older girl for help, assuming she hadn't left already.