Heartbeat: Fire & Ice Love & Venom

A  familiar warm touch swept over the side of my face. I leaned into the loving touch before opening my eyes and seeing her sitting there beside me. "Ness," I whispered, almost silently with lack of breath. She took my hand into hers and pressed my hand against her cheek just like she used to. My hand against her cheek felt like ice touching fire. She was so warm and I was the ice, for once. Everything about her made me feel relaxed and fearless as she stayed at my side.  

"It's okay, I'm here Jacob," she whispered after a while, her hand ran down along my face. Her hand took mine again, gripping it within her own softly. I felt so cold, and yet, it didn't worry me. Why was that?  

My thumb brushed over her hand gently as she leaned down beside me, holding me close to her. I was starting to think that this was all a dream. At times, I had wished it was. I could remember when I was at her side, holding her hand and hoping to God that she was going to be okay . . . but deep down, I had known the whole time that she wasn't going to be. I had known, I was just denying it the whole time and just kept up the hope. 

I could hear each and every word of Embry's. I tried to speech, but I was just too weak. I couldn't speak. It was just too hard with the weight I could feel upon my chest. I wished I could have spoken though. There was so much I wanted to say to him. There was just so much to say, too much to say within the so little time that was left, and yet, I couldn't say or do a thing. It was so frustrating and unfair.

Embry's POV 

"Jacob, don't talk like that. You're going to be fine, I meant it!" I half smiled, trying to make myself believed it too. I didn't know what I could for my best friend. I didn't know what there was to do for him. 

I looked up to Sam, quickly checking over Jacob's vitals. "Keep your hand on the side of his shoulder Embry," he said quickly. "I'm trying to slow down the venom. If you keep your hand there, it's less likely that it can travel as quickly." 

"How do you figure that?" 

"It's the main vein to his heart. It's like a snake bite, the only difference is with us, our blood can take neutralise the venom after a while and heal us."  

"You mean. . ." I trailed off, not wanting to get my hopes up and at the same time, not wanting to give up. I couldn't give up. I couldn't lose hope. Not now. 

"Maybe, I don't know. Give me your phone. We need to get him to Carlisle. He's the only one who can help him now." 

I took out my phone from the back pocket of my jeans and handed it to Sam as quickly as I could while my hands stayed shaking with both fear and anger. I didn't really like the idea of having to trust someone with our secret in a public hospital, but I knew that Sam wouldn't be doing such a thing if he didn't trust Carlisle or fully believe that Jacob needed his help and could be helped. I wondered if a human doctor would even know enough about us to help us with something like this. 

I could hear Sam talking to Carlisle quickly off in the distance. The rain kept falling down on us. I could see my breath in the air before my eyes. As I kept an eye on Jacob's pulse, I noticed shakes going through his body. He was cold. I guess Jacob had stopped phasing long enough to make his body go back to its normal temperature. That worried me greatly. 

Sam came back just after a moment. "He's going to meet us in the ER." 

I nodded and looked down to Jacob again. "Sam, he's cold as ice." 

"I'll get a blanket from the house. Starting walking. I'll catch up." Within the second Sam finished speaking; he took off running towards his house at full speed. I hadn't ever seen him ran so quickly before.