Heartbeat: Final Dream, Final Kiss

The weeks passed slowly. A day felt more like a week, - it did to me anyway. I hadn't seen the sun or moon in two and a half months. I never left Rensmee's side each day and night. There was no way that I was going to leave her. Often I didn't even eat for a day or two, but I didn't find that I was even getting hungry. I just craved and wanted to be with her. Emily, Bella and Rachel came with food for me whenever they could. Rachel would stay with Renesmee for two hours once a week while I went down to the café. It was as far as I could go from her, any farther and it didn't feel right to me. Most of the time I had Embry there telling me she would be okay, but I think he was convincing himself as well as me.

Each night I got a top of three hours' sleep. Between the noises of the hospital, worrying and sleeping on the side of her bed, it was hard to even think about sleeping. I was actually glad that Sam had made me stay up all night and day when I was younger doing patrols with him over La Push. Doing that had gotten me used to going without sleep and when I went without sleep now, I didn't notice it that much.

My eyes flashed open suddenly at a dream I had. I looked down to Renesmee in the dark, seeing her looking at me, already awake. 

Why wasn't she asleep?

"Hey," she murmured softly, touching my hand with hers.

I rubbed my eyes, getting them to focus in the nights light. "Hey. What are you doing still awake? Its four o'clock in the morning."

She shrugged. "I don't know. I just can't."

I shook my head, knowing what was wrong. I cupped her cheek softly in my hand and sure enough I was right. She was cold. "Move over," I murmured, lying on the side of her bed, wrapping my arms around her. She smiled and leant into my chest, wrapping her arms around my waist tightly. I ran my fingers softly over her arm, knowing that she loved the feeling of my touch and warmth.

I watched the clock with blind eyes. I didn't take any notice to the time, to the seconds that passed. My mind was too full to see or take notice to anything. I only broke of the dazed state when I felt her move in my arms. I held her a little tighter, making sure she knew that I was still there for her. I hoped that she wasn't having a bad dream. My eyes drifted to a close with exhaustion taking over my body. I only woke up again when I heard noises outside of her room. I looked to see the blood test people outside talking, wondering if she was awake or not. I acted like we both were still asleep, hoping that they would come back later in the day like they usually did if they didn't see you in the morning. I knew that Renesmee wouldn't want to wake up to something like that. She hated needles and this was the only one apart from the IV she had allowed. I don't even know how Carlisle had given her an IV. I wouldn't even have the heart to be strong enough to look and feel of that needle and I didn't have any problem with them like she did.

They knocked on her door and she gripped my shirt tightly after looking up and seeing who it was. I sighed, holding her tightly against me as I sat up with her. She hid her face in my shirt as she started to cry.  

I hated this! I hated to see her crying with fear, pain or anything for that matter that wasn't crying with happiness. She didn't deserve this to be happening to her.

"It is okay honey," the dark hair lady said, taking Renesmee's wrist softly, sitting on the side of the bed. "Just a tiny pin prick and it's all done with."

"She hates needles," I murmured. The lady nodded, making sure to hide the whole needle from Renesmee's sight. I held her closely to me, my hand resting softly on the side of her face as she kept her face hidden in my shirt as she sobbed. I felt her other hand grip the back of my shirt as the blood started to flow. She yelped suddenly, bringing her hand that was around my waist in front of her. She must have hurt her hand with the IV by gripping my shirt. I took her hand softly and kissed her wrist, just able the IV, hoping that maybe it would make it better.