Chapter Fifteen

I want him but we're not right

-- -- --

Whatever I thought I did right, apparently in Tate's eyes it's wrong.

Paradoxically, he's done things that I thought were wrong- like the time he kind of guilt-tripped me into helping his headache, or the time in year five where he loved playing Kiss Chase; it was his favourite game. He always chased after that Peyton girl, everyone did. She was gorgeous. Me? I was too oblivious about everything, so the moment I planted my lips on Steven's, I knew I'd done something wrong because he pushed me away and stomped away angrily. The next day, his older brother approached me whilst I was playing In the park nearby and called me a faggot. Then he stole my scooter and I cried as I ran home.

So much to my chagrin, I realised I was different to many people. All I wanted to do was fit in- Tate always found a way to. Why could I? It couldn't be because of looks, Tate and I looked practically the same, scarily enough. Same blonde hair (except his was more of a dirty blonde), same style in clothes, same taste in music and the same goofy personality, however, it's changed since then; this Tate isn't the same bubbly, happy guy I once knew.

Tate.

I never got him. A lot of the time, it felt as if he could see right through me. Even if I keep a silly facade on that's the complete opposite to how I'm feeling, he always figured it out. I could never really figure him out though. Was that bad of me? Does that make a bad friend? God, now I feel like shit.

I knew him in ways that aren't really significant. Like, I know when he feels uncomfortable because he glares, I know when he feels sad because... He glares, and I know when he feels tired... Because he glares.

I didn't really know him at all didn't I?

"Yo, Kaiden, are you even taking notes? You know, people have been saying that the first year is just a doss but then I've heard a bunch of people say to not listen to the people who say that because it's actually so impor-"

"Please shut up, Jason." I groaned, propping my elbows up on the table and leaning my face on it. "Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, I'm just not feeling it right now."

"It's been two weeks since we've started and you've so out of it since whatever argument you and Tate had. You can't keep copying my notes just because you were too out of it to write your own." He whisper-shouted, attempting to keep our conversation as discreet as possible. We were in a lecture and its probably the last place I want to discuss this.

"Sorry."

"Stop apologising."

"Right, sorry." I replied.

He sighed and leaned away from me, focusing back to the front of the room. I watched as he scribbled down notes and took out another sheet of paper once he used up the page. At first, when I found out Jason was in my lecture, I mentally face palmed myself. OK, so Jason wasn't a bad person, no, he's actually a pretty loyal pers-

Now I'm making it sound as if he's my pet dog.

When he figured out Tate and I were both pissed at each other, he heard both of us out, he was the peacemaker, and even though Tate slammed the door in his face a couple times (as I've heard), he didn't stop trying, and finally he got a few words out of him.

Obviously, I kept things to myself, such as the kiss but the things about Tate pushing me away? Jason probably regretted asking me after he had an earful for an hour and a half. I don't usually vent to people, but when I do, oh boy.

To say he took my side would be childish of me to say but whatever, I was a little happy Jason went and took my side.

"Kaiden, man, keep your eyes focused to the front of the room." He whispered. I rolled my eyes, not that anyone saw me, and flipped open my notepad to a clean page. "Stop thinking about your lover."