Chapter Twelve

"Tate, darling, what took so long?" Mrs Olliston asks her only son worriedly.

"Oh, nothing, the lift just took ages to come and I was struggling to carry this one box..." He trailed off. He made a very good liar, holy shit.

I blushed remembering the situation in the lift. Tate actually hugged me because he wanted to and not because I forced him. Now that was progress and I was glad.

But did I really want to repair my relationship with Tate? Since I first saw he went to university here, I wanted nothing more than to start from where we left off, four years ago. My last memory of him was playing kiss chase with Megan and a bunch of her friends. Even at fourteen years old, that game never gets old.

Now, I feel as if trying to repair our friendship would be a bad decision. Tate and I have both changed, we're entirely different people. What if he leaves me again? All those years that I spent trying to deal with not having my best friend around would be useless; it was a living nightmare and it would surely come back and haunt me once again. It was terrible, I hated that place. It was so dark and lonely because nobody really understood me, none of them have ever been as close to Tate as I have.

It's like smashing a glass, or a beautiful mural and trying to put the pieces together again when it's pretty much useless. It will never be repaired to the standard it once was. There will always be cracks and missing pieces and that mural will never be as great as how it originally was, it would lose its light, that small detail that made it extraordinary in the first place.

"Are all the boxes out the car?" She asked Tate.

"Yes, they're all out. Thanks to Kaiden, it was done quicker." Tate muttered and looked at me. Mrs Olliston looked at me too and I could've sworn, her eye twitched. He looked to Juliette who was lazing about in on his bed, making most of the space that doesn't have boxes on it. "Why wasn't Jules doing anything?"

"Because she's a lady, and a lady doesn't do that." She replied cooly. So now we're living in the fourteenth century? What's up with this woman?

"Mum, you know I don't give a shit about that, I'm just super lazy." Jules dead panned. "We're not all stuck in the olden days like you."

Mrs Olliston rolled her eyes and turned on her heels and walked over to the plastic set of drawers that Tate had in his room. She searched the drawers and moved some things around to fit more in.

"You have an entire drawer dedicated to shoes? How many do you need? Don't tell me you're turning into Jules." She muttered with the ghost of a smile and lined them all up neatly in pairs.

"Well I need my running shoes, my high tops, my smart ones, my other trainers-"

"Alright, we get it." Jules groaned and went back to texting on her phone.

I felt inferior so I turned my head to see that the door wasn't even two metres away from me but as well as that, I saw Tate's face. He was stood behind me and to get out of the door, I had to go past him and I couldn't do that very discreetly.

Quietly, I walked backwards and I could feel eyes on me. It's not rocket science whose they were.

"Mum, forget that, that will take you ages. Can't we just start on the fridge, I'm pretty sure my roommate never cleans his shit out and it smells up the place and I don't know whether some of the stuff I brought from Tesco belong in the fridge or freezer." Tate groaned and grabbed the hem of my sweatshirt as soon as I passed him. He looked me dead in the eye and plastered a frown on his face.

"Oh come on." I whisper-shouted to him. He just shook his head.

"Fine, lets go to the kitchen." Tate's mother stood up and brushed off some imaginary dust from her trousers. She sent a scowl my way as she walked past me and opened up the door. "Jules, get up."