Just Another Day

The next two weeks consisted of working loads. I was always put with Nathan on duty as we always seemed to make a great team together. The mother of the child who I had saved spoke to a journalist about her son's rescue and it was so nice of her as we were all mentioned. It was really her thank you's expressed and how quickly we reacted. It was nice to read and both of us felt like we did something good. Quite often we would see people point to us and then on the odd occasion they would ask for pictures as we were on the news. It felt a bit strange as all I was doing was the job I was paid to do but it was nice to be reaconised but some days you couldn't even get on with your job as so many people wanted to talk to me and Nathan.

I was currently sat on the tower while I was watching the sea. I was wearing my uniform like always but I kicked off my sandles and just sat there watching the people around. The flags were green so it was safe for people to go into the water. Nathan was sat next to me watching the other side of our post. We always seemed to have a routeen where we would swap over every half an hour or something so we didn't get bored watching the same spot all of the time.

The sun was beating down on my shoulders as the sun-screen blocked the heat from damaging my skin for a long time. I grabbed my drink and took a long swig of the refreshing cold water. You think in my job you would get bored of water or even fed up but the truth is that I love water. Ever since I was a baby my mum told me that I loved splashing in the bath. Creepy right?

The day was long and intense. Nothing serious happened, it was mainly just a couple of scraped elbows or knees while playing in the sand but nothing a plaster or a lolly wouldn't sort out. Since we were both first aid qualified then we were fine to clean the wound and sort things out.

It was just a normal day really, nothing really happened, just small things that was easy to sort out. I saw a group of boys walking over to the sea and pushing each other about but the way they were doing it and with force made me think that if one push was so forceful then it would mean another person becoming seriosly hurt. Nathan looked towards me and then to where I was looking. I walked down as Nathan stayed on the tower as the boys were coming out.

"Boys, can I have a chat please? I need you three to follow me up to the tower." I looked at the three boys as they walked over to me. I pointed up to the tower and then looked back to the three lads. One had very dark brown hair like mine as the other two were a lighter shade.

Once I got there they all sat down on the sand as I started,

"I saw you all pushing each other in the water. I am concerned for your saftey. If one of you pushed really hard and one of you fell far back then it would have meant something more serious. Can you please consider each other's saftey."

"So you are telling us to not have fun." one of them pointed out.

"I never said that. All I said was is to be more careful." The boys looked at me gone out as though I just dropped a big bomb shell on them.

"Babe, look we know how to behave in the water. We don't need to be told how to have fun." I looked at them trying so so hard not to go mental at them. I thought they might listen to Nathan better than me.

"Would you like me to get my manager to come here and talk to you or would you rather go with the advice I have given you? Just be careful." I looked at them as one of them smioled his face off, the really dark haired one.

"Well I would much rather be told by you than any other person. So beautiful, do you have a boyfriend?" I looked at him as he tried to get an answer. I thought I reaconised him from somewhere but I didn't know where.

"Yes I have a boyfriend. Now you may go but please stay safe." I turned back to the tower as Nathan looked onwards. I climbed up the ramp and grabbed my water bottle. The day continued on as the lads that I saw pushing each other about egnored my advice as they continued to push each other about in the water.

My fear's came true as one of them went under and didn't come back up. I shouted to Nathan as I went down to the water. The alarm had been sounded as I could hear Mick's car coming up the beach. I hit the water as I swam over to the spot. With one deep breath I found myself back under water. The lad was only a small distance from me as I reached over and grabbed his arm. I pulled him closly to my body as I pulled him above the water. I swam over to the shore line as I layed him down on the towel. I couldn't hear his breathing and he didn't have a pulse. I started CPR to try and get his  heart going as Nathan was holding his head to keep his spine in a still position. Mick was sat with his friends as the ambulance arrived. There was four of us crowded around him as I felt for his pulse again. I could feel the small even vibration on my two fingers. I could feel a pulse. Nathann looked at me as the ambulance men asked if we knew a name. Nathan looked at me as it finally clicked, it was Jason.

While he was being taken to hospital, I went and chatted to his friends. Mick looked at me and he knew I was annoyed.

"Right. I did warn you what would happen if you carried on mucking about like you were doing. Now Jason is being rushed to hospital. I have nothing more to say. Mick here will be calling your parents and telling them what has happened. You may go with him now" I walked over to Nathan to see him talking to someone, well two people. I walked back to the tower as two people came over to me. I was stood on the bottom of the ramp as they came over. The figure I saw was one I wasn't expecting to see for a very long time.