Thirty-Eight || Redemption

Start from the beginning

We are still alive. The words from his daughter's mouth in this odd premonition were almost... music to his ears.

But he didn't avert his gaze from the scene.

Luke stood beside Leia, giving Kyla a look of distrust. He had no real reason not to trust Kyla, but perhaps he knew about the incident when they were toddlers... Kyla's captivation and hostage of his sister.

Perhaps he remembered.

Luke, Anakin calls out desperately, Can you hear me?

The blond boy didn't move a muscle. His scowling face was directed at Kyla, but subtly. Kyla releases her grip from the girl, slowly, then all at once. She gives her a smile; but it was sad. It wasn't the Kyla he remembered; Kyla smiled with faith and honesty, never pain. He had even seen her smile in anger, but never pain.

Leia smiles back. And for a moment, everything seems okay.

But Anakin Skywalker knows he is dreaming.

But everything seemed okay...

Until Luke looks up, directly at his father's nonexistent image. Can he see me? Luke - Can you see me? Why is he looking at me?

The boy pulls his eyebrows together. "Kyla, who's that?" the child asks, raising a finger to point at Anakin.

Anakin's heart races. Can he see me? He-he can see me! Luke!

Kyla turns her head and looks up at Anakin too, followed by Leia. The children eyed him suspiciously, but Kyla's smile fades into a moping frown. She looked depressed as she stared at Anakin and whispered to his children, "That's your father. He is only a Force ghost now, but when you were younger, he was still with us."

What?

Luke turns back to Kyla, confusion still riddled into his features. The boy asks, "How did my father die? I wish I'd known him longer."

Kyla is still staring at Anakin, directly into his soul. But - he is only a ghost. A Force ghost, who is not speaking nor interacting with them but why, why couldn't he say anything? What was this?

Kyla sighs in response to his son. "A young Jedi named Demetrious. She was a-pupil of mine, she killed him when you were only very young."

No! No, this is - this is all wrong, Luke. Leia! Luke! That's not right, I'm still here, don't listen to her!

Then it hit him: That's why they were so confused when she apologized to them. Because even if they remembered the events when they were toddlers, with what happened to Leia, they still had always seen her as Kyla... never Demetrious. Demetrious is... nonexistent to them...

His chest burned with the desire to go out there and put a stop to this. They were conversing about him when he was right there and yet - they didn't see his pain. They couldn't feel it, none of them. How could they not feel it?

Was it because Anakin Skywalker was dead?

And then, when he woke up, it was just as things were before - in his bed, the same bed he knew so familiarly on Coruscant. He was alone, there wasn't a warm being beside him. His daughter was down the hall, his three-year-old precious daughter he rescued from the wraths of Demetrious. She was waiting. Eagerly awaiting to see her brother, her mother again...

"Tomorrow, princess," he had told her, "Tomorrow you'll see your mother and Luke again, I promise you. But tonight we're staying at our old home, then we get to back to Naboo and get our things. Do you understand?"