Twenty-Seven || When We Break

"This is gospel, for the fallen ones. Locked away in permanent slumber."

- Panic At The Disco This Is Gospel

Narrator's POV

Obi-Wan Kenobi crouched beside Desmond, that same reassuring hand set on his shoulder as he watched the boy cry, hanging his head between his legs, his fingers locked around his head. "I let you all down," he cried. "I failed you. I'm - so, sorry."

Anakin remained standing with Mace, watching his Master's saddened look in his pale blue eyes as he watched the boy cry. Anakin didn't even feel the need to comfort Desmond; as much as he wanted to, he couldn't bring himself to do it. He almost... knew this was going to happen, and didn't feel bad about it. Desmond had the same fate as Anakin; attempting to help her, and failing. She was impossible to negotiate with.

"Don't feel negatively towards yourself for this situation. She is difficult to talk to, we understand that now," Obi-Wan lulls as Anakin exhales tightly, knowing they didn't trust him to talk to her the first time.

Anakin at last decides, maybe he needs to hear my voice. "Desmond," Anakin says softly, as softly as he could manage, "I... I know she's... gone. I know. And, it hurts, but - we have to accept that now. I'm sorry."

Feeling on the verge of tears, he crouched beside Desmond, locking eyes with Obi-Wan as if he were saying thank you for at last realizing Kyla was gone. Obi-Wan nods discreetly, and Anakin returns, leaning towards Desmond he crouched next to.

"She was my everything," he cried, "The only person I could always talk to. She was the only person I ever had growing up as a slave. She... was my best friend," he choked out, bursting into a sob. "Now she's gone."

Anakin swallowed. "I had a bond with her too," he suddenly says, oddly not feeling as though he should compare himself to this boy as he had been doing since they met.

Desmond looks up, looking life-drained and pale. Weak. "She was great, that Kyla. I don't know how this could've happened. She had such a... promising future. She let it go to waste."

Anakin looks down, overwhelmed by the pain he was experiencing at Desmond's words. He looks up again, and sighs. "She did. I..." he purses his upper lip and glances at his boots again, "I miss her."

Desmond stares ahead and nods painfully. He looked broken, shattered... "Yeah," he weakly says, his voice cracking in between impending sobs that threatened to take over, "I miss her too."

"This is a horrible experience, for the both of you," Mace suddenly comments, "But I think it's best we get out of here as soon as manageable." Of course, Anakin thinks, He has no empathy. There is always a catch.

"I agree," sighs Obi-Wan, rising to his feet, brushing his tunic off. "Anakin, Desmond, I understand how difficult this situation must be for you two - for me, as well, but staying on her cruiser certainly isn't a good idea."

Anakin rises to eye level with Obi-Wan and his feelings take over, leading him to snap at Obi-Wan, "You do not understand this situation, Master."

"Oh really?" chuckles Obi-Wan, and Anakin unclenches his tight fists. "I witnessed my Master die right before my own young eyes, Anakin. He was my father figure, everything I had ever hoped to become. You cannot imagine that kind of situation, Anakin, and I would prefer we not discuss that right now," he says gloomily, turning away from Anakin.

How could I forget Qui-Gon? Anakin thinks strangely, hoping he didn't insult his Master. "I'm sorry, Master. Forgive me, I didn't mean to insult you."