Thirty-Four || Shattered Hearts

Narrator's POV

She knew when the right time would be.

She was like that; very observant, very detailed and cautious about her actions, she was sly, for one, and made sure not to leave evidence of anything, no matter what, no matter where.

It was in her nature.

So she watched. She watched where she wouldn't be seen. She made sure she couldn't be felt. She let the darkness cover her, surround her, close her in where she wouldn't be found. And from there, she watched. She studied. She was there for days; plotting. Planning. Gaining knowledge.

She had mastered the nursery; where the door was, how the windows were opened, how you could get there from every other room in the house. She watched; she learned. With every day that passes, she knew more.

And it would benefit nobody but herself.

Days into her observance, she watches from a different angle. Still hidden; differently.

Anakin Skywalker walks out onto the balcony, the front balcony where his fighter was kept, with his wife.

Demetrious swallows as she watches this, burying away any remaining thoughts of Anakin. She was simply watching; not feeling, not enduring. Not yet.

He hugs her; their embrace is long. They don't let go for moments on end. She can't hear what they're saying.

He leaves.

She stays hidden as the fighter jolts off into the atmosphere - Coruscant. She thinks. He's returning for the Temple, the Council. Are they even aware of his refuge on Naboo?

She watches Padmé bury her face in her hand, her other arm wrapped tightly to her body. She was crying, trembling. She was afraid.

Demetrious studies the scene. She hears voices as she watches.

Anakin, you can't go -

Trust me, Padmé. You will be safe, I promise you. The children will be safe. I'll only be gone a day, Padmé, only a day.

You can't leave us here, Anakin, what if they come back?

They won't come back.

Demetrious evilly smiles under her hood. If only he knew I'd be back.

After the voices ring through her head, she has more knowledge. It's... satisfying. She watches Padmé as she finally ceases her cries to slip back inside. The day is fading, and Anakin makes no return.

He would be gone a day.

Now was her time to strike.

She couldn't do it all at once; she had to be unseen, still. Padmé couldn't do anything, the woman wasn't entirely weak - but she was to a degree. Demetrious had, to her benefit, already mapped out the house and has figured out the direct route to the nursery without coming in contact with Anakin and Padmé's shared bedroom.

It would be perfect. There was no stopping her now.

She neared the bottom glass door. This lead to a wooden staircase, and at the top of the stairs, was the twins' room.

With a bolt of Force lightning, a quick jolt to the padlock sealing the glass door, it was opened. Electricity flooded through the lock, unclasping it. Broken in two, it clattered to the floor.

She snuck in through the door. The house was silent. Nobody could sense her. Nobody knew she was there.

She didn't bother closing the door behind her. This wouldn't be her way to exit, but she thought she might as well leave some evidence to freak them all out. It was her speciality.